03-12-2008, 01:07 AM
| || |
If I were to guess, and this is a guess, I would imagine that the piece ofdriftwood has been in contactr with some toxic insecticide or herbicide. This is just a guess, mind you, but I have heard and read of such occurances with a mold, fungus, happening in other's tanks.
I remember a member in a club I belong to having a similar problem some years back. Others concluded that this was the only possibility. I have to, somewhat, agree with them. All other possibilities had been systematically eliminated.
Remove the driftwood, and begin daily 50% water changes. Do not sweep the gravel. Try to preserve as much of the bacteria bed as possible. Filter heavily with carbon, changing the media every couple of days. May or may not help, but the carbon should remove the toxins if chemical based.