01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
| || |
Great news! I went on drsfostersmith.com to see if they had a help section. I looked throught the entire catalogue and didn't see anything with different active ingredients so I wanted to know what they would recommend. Turns out they have this thing where you can ask a question and they will put you through to an expert who you can talk to via a chat box. So, I explained my situation to the woman and she consulted a tech who said that I could try one 1/2 dose Clout or a half dose of another med. So, I followed the directions on the clout, just cut the tablet in half. As of right now everyone is doing fine, but since school was cancelled due to snow I will be here all day to make sure nothing goes wrong. I'm just hoping that it will work. Cross your fingers for me!
Oh, and some more good news is that I was able to salvage all my plants. I scooped out all the infected eco-complete (there goes $20) and the gross driftwood. I then bleached the entire tank, heater, (not the filter, that I moved onto the QT tank with the fish). I also emersed the plants in a 5% bleach solution for 3 minutes, rinsed them off, and soaked them in a bucket with 3x the normal dechlorinator. Then I refilled the tank, stuck the plants in, and turned the light on. I have a little sand left that I will rinse today, and hopefully tonight if the weather is good enough I am going to pick up a new bag. The plants look good today (never seen them so algae free!) so I'm hoping that they will survive and I can replant the tank for only the cost of a $4 bag of sand. I'm thinking maybe once it's set up and I'm satisfied it's stable I'll do a school of neons with the cories....
Anyway, here's to hoping that everything works out!