Hi fellow members,
When you create a new topic we will need to ask a number of questions about your situation so we can best determine how to help you. To speed up the process, we ask that you have the following information available at the time of your first post:
1. What is the size of your tank? 20 gallons
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used. 0 amm, .5 nitrite, 0 nitrates ( this tank was previously cycled with tiger barbs but i think the puffers bioload is much bigger so ive now had a nitrite spike and have no idea where my nitrates went) ph is 7.6-7.8, kh is 5, gh is 1-2. Kit is the api master kit and the api kh and gh kit.
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water? Freshwater
4. How long the aquarium has been set up? Almost 4 months
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? I have 2 south american puffers. Ive had them about 3 weeks and there are about 1.5 in long
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
No the fish were not quarentined but they are the only inhabitants and were bought together.
7. What temperature is the tank water currently? 79 degrees
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium? Yes, i currently have 8 bunches. I do not know the names of them all, but there are 2 lillies and some nymph all growing well and thriving.
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
Marineland penguin 250. I rinse the filter cartridge every 3-4 weeks with tank water.
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)? No
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)? No real natural sunlight, blinds r open but windows in house are 100% uv. I have lights on 12 hours a day from around 6am to 6pm.
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
Last water change was 50% on 12 mar. I treat water with prime. I do vacuum substrate. Since nitrite spike about a week ago ive been doin 50% changes every other day and using prime to protect fish.
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule? My puffers get a ramshorn snail 2 times a day to share and and bloodworm each. I hand feed each of them and watch their bellies to determine when they have had enough
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish? Just the white spots.
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis. Yes i treated with Mardel coppersafe. I talked to lfs and told them i thought it was ick and needed something safe for scaless fish. Tey gave me coppersafe. During waterchanges, i medicate based on instructions. Fish are active and eating well. Seem to be feeling well. I have attached a photo.