I had to euthanize Fins last night. Felt like killing.
I used clove oil to put him to sleep - then vodka to kill him.
We buried him in the garden.
In looking back over my notes on the tank (I started a notebook when I set up the tank) - it must have been the new plants I put in the beginning of Feb.
Although I did a very mild & quick bleach dip - I was thinking about snails - it's the only thing new introduced to the tank.
So I will now quarantine any plant before putting them in the tank.
He had a fungus also. At first I thought is was another ICH spot - then I noticed the fuzz - & it looked like it was making a hole in his head.
When he tried to swim he listed to the side & couldn't lift his head to eat.
So now I'm staring at an empty tank
Which will remain empty for about a month - till I'm sure all the parasites are dead.
The plants got a bit stressed during all this - probably the salt - so I will concentrate on getting them healthy.