Hi all, my tank suddenly got a problem....Ich. Unfortunately my baby algae dude just passed away last night due to this. About 1 1/2 months ago, my algae eatter was a victim of fungus...he was treated in a separate tank and my community tank was treated with salt. Everyone was fine during that episode and the algae eatter appeared to recover. He was reintroduced back to the community 3 weeks ago and all seems fine until recently. Then last night...algae dude was sick again...this time I was unable to save him and symptoms were tell tale characteristic of ich. (I wonder if this was the underlying cause in the first place when he got sick earlier). Anyway...I also noticed the characteristic early signs of ich on some of my other fish...mostly only on some fins and tails (the crystal sugar like globs). I added a remedy tab to the tank for ich...but this is only to slow the spread....it wont last or cure the problem. Someone told me to raise the temp to 80-85 and add salt to the tank. (my tank is normally around 75-78. I fear adding more salt to the tank may cause an ammonia/nitrite spike. I also have sensitive neons in the tank which more salt or the reaction salt has may kill them. They seem ok so far as far as the ich...but if I don't get rid of it, I'm sure they will be affected and in major danger soon.
Anyway....my question is....what would you recommend for clearing ich from my tank. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Tank info: 15g w/20g Whisper bioammonia filter.Temp norm 75-78. pH norm 7.3, NH3/NH4 0.00ppm, reg light/dark intervals, many plastic plants and 1 live plant. 2 mickey platies, 5 neons, 10 guppies various ages, small snails. Eat premium flakes substituted once a week with freeze dried bloodworm (eat once per day).