1. What is the size of your tank? 5 gal
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used. pH is 7.0 ammonia is 0. (auto alert tags)
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water? Freshwater
4. How long the aquarium has been set up? One month (still cycling)
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? Total of 6 fish. #1-Female African Dwarf Frog, 1 inch, had for about a year now. #2- Male Fancy Guppy, 1/2 inch, had about a month. #3- Male Dalmation Balloon Molly, 3/4 inch, had about a month. #4,5, & 6- total of 3 male sunrise tequila delta guppies, almost 1 inch each, had about a month.
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? Frog was alone in seperate cycled 1 gal for a year. Set up the 5 gal added frog. Added the guppies and molly about a month ago with no quarantine period.
7. What temperature is the tank water currently? 76.5 F
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium? No, just 1 small and 1 x-small artificial plants
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity. Tetra Whisper 10i
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)? no
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)? No natural light at any part of day, no drafts either. Lighting schedule is about 8 hours a day, sometimes less, sometimes more, depends on my schedule. Forgot the last 2 nights though and the light has been on continuously. Its a 2watt flouresant bulb.
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate? Last water change was about 45 mins ago, one before that was about 5-7 days ago. I do a water change about every week. When doing water changes I do about 15-20% (just below or at one gallon). Plan on vacuuming the substrate, but have not yet since tank has only been up for one month.
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule? This tank eats Tetra Tropical Flakes for Clear water as well as Repto-Min for my frog's food. They generally eat once in the evening time. And on a rare ocassion, maybe once every week or two, I will drop in a couple of pre-soaked freeze-dried bloodworms...mostly for the frog, but the molly seems to enjoy them.
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish? My male dalmation balloon molly named Spot has been hiding under the decoration bridge for the last few hours, I chalked that up to the thought that I have had the light on for 2 days (I know, bad me for that anyways). As I was doing the water change on the tank this evening I was checking the fish out as I always do to make sure everyone is okay, especially my molly because in about 5 days I had plans to move him to my 29 gallon when I re-stock it since he will be too large for a 5 gallon full grown. Well, my sweet little Spot has some white looking thin stuff on his fins, mostly his tail. At first glance it looked as though his tail was frayed, which made me look closer thinking that maybe the guppies had started nipping at him. As I looked closer I noticed that was not the issue, that it was as if he had an extra thin slime coat on him in places. And then I watched him go to the top of the bridge and itch his side on the rail of it, but he only did it one time. My first thought was Ich.
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis. No treatment yet, just noticed it. My questions: 1- Is it Ich? Or could it be just extra slime from the light being on too long? 2- I dont have another tank. Can I treat the entire tank since the chances of my frog and guppies getting it are high? 3- Is regular Ich treatment safe for my frog? 4- Would it be wiser to put the molly in the 29 gal tank on Saturday when I remove the last remaining cichlid and treat it in that tank before adding any other fish to it a week later? I am adding a picture, but my camera sucks. It is just a basic Polaroid Digital Point & Shoot and has no settings to change to help. I took the pics w/o flash bc with it it washed the molly out since he is primarily white/silver.