I think my tetras have ich - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Exclamation I think my tetras have ich

I was looking at my tetras today and noticed that some of them had white spots on them. I think it might be ich, here is a vid.. ‪ICH?‬‏ - YouTube. Is it ich?
If it is what is the best way to treat it? I know tetras do not like salt and that is the only thing I have at the moment .
Espectroundead is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 02:35 AM
New Member
 
ok when i do water changes, sometimes my tetras show stress and ick. so when thats happens i use a product found at walmart or a aquarium store called quICK cure. it works great for treatments but the down of it is if you use too much, it may stain the silicone. here is a link to show you the bottle. Aquarium Products Quick Cure 3/4 Oz hope this helps.
grumphyfl is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 AM
Member
 
Beaches's Avatar
 
It does look like Ich!

I have successfully treated Ember & Neon tetras using heat/salt, but I would advise to only use half the recommended dosage at first to see how they tolerate it, but if you notice signs that they are becoming very stressed by it, then I would discontinue using it and do a partial water change to remove the salt. How soon before you would be able to get the other Ich meds., if you prefer not to use salt?
Beaches is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches View Post
It does look like Ich!

I have successfully treated Ember & Neon tetras using heat/salt, but I would advise to only use half the recommended dosage at first to see how they tolerate it, but if you notice signs that they are becoming very stressed by it, then I would discontinue using it and do a partial water change to remove the salt. How soon before you would be able to get the other Ich meds., if you prefer not to use salt?

I decided to start them on salt since it was the only thing I had at the moment. I am dosing half the recomended dosage and adding it slowly. So far they are acting pretty normal.
For how long did you use aquarium salt to treat ich?
Espectroundead is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphyfl View Post
ok when i do water changes, sometimes my tetras show stress and ick. so when thats happens i use a product found at walmart or a aquarium store called quICK cure. it works great for treatments but the down of it is if you use too much, it may stain the silicone. here is a link to show you the bottle. Aquarium Products Quick Cure 3/4 Oz hope this helps.
Thanks for the help, but I already started treating them with aquarium salt since it was the only thing I had available. I will take a look at the quick cure and maybe buy some just to have in case of emergencies.
Espectroundead is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Member
 
Beaches's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espectroundead View Post
For how long did you use aquarium salt to treat ich?
One time I treated for 2 weeks and gradually raised the temp. by 2* each day to get it to 86*f, kept it at that temp. for 5 dys, then started lowering it again.

Another time, It took 3 weeks, but I only had the temp. at 82* due to the fish I had in that instance.

There was one time when I only used heat, having the temp. at 94*for 2 dys, this temp. should kill the parasite, but some fish may not be able to tolerate that high a temp. and you need lots of aeration due to the lack of oxygen. You need to increase aeration any time the temp. is raised though.

How long it takes really depends on the Ich parasite itself, there are many different strains and some are more resistant/persistant than others, it also depends on the severity of the case and how strong the fishs' immune system is in the first place to help deal with the parasite naturally.

Meds. do work too, but whichever way you choose, it is still very stressful to the fish.
Beaches is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do black tetras and neon tetras school together? MrEd Characins 9 02-02-2011 05:13 PM
bucktoothed tetras, vampire tetras, pickerel, red evils need help an info mlhunsaker Characins 18 09-01-2010 01:37 AM
Do Neon Tetras school with any other fish (part. Gold Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras)? Akeath Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 11-09-2009 07:15 PM
serpae tetras/red minor tetras resRfun Characins 5 04-16-2008 05:06 PM
Serpae Tetras not Flame Tetras verbosity Characins 1 12-09-2007 04:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome