03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by bettababy
Treatment with medication should only be done after water testing to ensure that water quality is safe enough to allow medications to work properly. Many medications will become toxic if put into water showing any ammonia, nitrite, or high nitrate levels.
Before treatment should be considered, the source of the illness should first be determined. Bala sharks are very sensitive to most medications.
How big is their tank? What other fish are in the tank? How often are water changes being done? How much water at a time? Water params for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH? Water temp? How big are the sharks? Do you have a quarantine tank set up?
These are all important questions that should be answered before considering meds. It sounds as if these sharks mean a lot to you, I'd hate to see you lose them over something so preventable.
Can you post any photos of the sharks and the sores?
Clear photos and the above requested info will help alot more to determine what is causing the problem so you can make sure it is treated safely and doesn't come back.
Excellent advice. I agree that eliminating water as possible culpit is first thing one should do when something goes wrong. Sometimes by correcting water parameter can heal/correct the condition by itself in early stages of infection.
Testing regularly also is a good way to prevent such mishaps (and log all the events).
Exposing fish to unnecessary med can be more harmful than good and certain antibiotics (aminoglycosides such as Kanamyacin)) can release ammonia as it breaks down. Not to mention pathogens building resistance to overuse/misuse of meds.
Post the results/pics thus someone can assist more accurately rather than wild guess.
What is Aquatic Specialist?
Last edited by cerianthus; 03-12-2009 at 03:02 PM..