I need advice please right away - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Tropical Fish Diseases » I need advice please right away

I need advice please right away

This is a discussion on I need advice please right away within the Tropical Fish Diseases forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Reefing Madness Your not supposed to have a Trate reading...Why would you be suspicious? He must be doing wild crazy water ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Zebra Danio
Zebra Danio
Rainbow Shark
Rainbow Shark
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
I need advice please right away
Old 09-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #11
 
Beaches's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
Your not supposed to have a Trate reading...Why would you be suspicious? He must be doing wild crazy water changes.

UMM....Actually I would be suspicious also (think I mentioned I was concerned why the readings were 0 across the board in one of ruby716's other threads on the subject). It has always been my understanding that you should have some reading of Nitrates, unless it may be a heavily planted tank where the plants are absorbing the Nitrates.
Beaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
Your not supposed to have a Trate reading...Why would you be suspicious? He must be doing wild crazy water changes.
a nitrate reading of less than 40 ppm is normal. it would take a lot of water changes to not have any. and 2 gallons twice a week for a total of 40% a week doesn't seem like it would be enough to get rid of all of the nitrates.
KendraMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches View Post
UMM....Actually I would be suspicious also (think I mentioned I was concerned why the readings were 0 across the board in one of ruby716's other threads on the subject). It has always been my understanding that you should have some reading of Nitrates, unless it may be a heavily planted tank where the plants are absorbing the Nitrates.
I have a 240g Salt Tank. No plants. No Trates, no Trites no Ammonia. And??? Wouldn't make me suspicious in the least seeing that posted. Unless you are not doing correct water changes and feeding the fish like mad, why would you have a reading other than 0?
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
 
sorry, i was confused. you posted this under freshwater.
KendraMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
 
Beaches's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
I have a 240g Salt Tank. No plants. No Trates, no Trites no Ammonia. And??? Wouldn't make me suspicious in the least seeing that posted. Unless you are not doing correct water changes and feeding the fish like mad, why would you have a reading other than 0?
We are talking about a freshwater tank here Reefing Madness and I know I don't need to tell you any of this . Admittedly I know very little about saltwater tanks, although I realise it is better to have very low or even immeasurable amounts of NO3 in saltwater setups, but in freshwater ones it is more the "norm" to have readings, obviously you don't want levels to be through the roof and you need to keep them in check, but around 5-10ppm is usually what is aimed for/acceptable/common place. There is usually some presence of nitrates at least.

Having some NO3 readings is also indicative of a stable tank, especially for a beginner, it is a good way to keep track of the water quality, if readings are 0 it can be a sign of a stalled cycle or the tank never cycled in the first place. I do understand your point though and that it may not be any cause for alarm since the ammonia/nitrite is still staying at 0, so obviously something is keeping the levels down and of course the OP may be reading the test colour chart as 0 but it is actually a bit above that. In this case, Yes! I am suspicious & confused, since 1. Just reiterating, it is very uncommon to have 0 readings across the board in your basic freshwater tank; 2. The OP mentioned in one of the other threads, getting NH3 & NO2 readings when cycling, but no mention of NO3; and 3. The % of water changes she was doing, were not enough to keep NO3 at 0 imo.
I
Beaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby716 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 platys and 2 bamboo shrimp. I've had it set up for 5 months, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, tank temp is 77. I feed them flakes and frozen bloodworms. I do use aquarium salt in the water. I noticed that 1 of the male platys had big white marks on him, and is acting really weird. When he swims around, he swims around crazy and darts all over the tank, and today I saw him try to rub the side of himself on the live plant I have. I just want to know how to treat this. I do water changes, but the marks are still there and he's still acting weird. Should I use medicine? Will it affect the bamboo shrimp? What should I do? Here is a pic of the platy & my overall tank


The original question was, what are these white spots........
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #17
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches View Post
We are talking about a freshwater tank here Reefing Madness and I know I don't need to tell you any of this . Admittedly I know very little about saltwater tanks, although I realise it is better to have very low or even immeasurable amounts of NO3 in saltwater setups, but in freshwater ones it is more the "norm" to have readings, obviously you don't want levels to be through the roof and you need to keep them in check, but around 5-10ppm is usually what is aimed for/acceptable/common place. There is usually some presence of nitrates at least.

Having some NO3 readings is also indicative of a stable tank, especially for a beginner, it is a good way to keep track of the water quality, if readings are 0 it can be a sign of a stalled cycle or the tank never cycled in the first place. I do understand your point though and that it may not be any cause for alarm since the ammonia/nitrite is still staying at 0, so obviously something is keeping the levels down and of course the OP may be reading the test colour chart as 0 but it is actually a bit above that. In this case, Yes! I am suspicious & confused, since 1. Just reiterating, it is very uncommon to have 0 readings across the board in your basic freshwater tank; 2. The OP mentioned in one of the other threads, getting NH3 & NO2 readings when cycling, but no mention of NO3; and 3. The % of water changes she was doing, were not enough to keep NO3 at 0 imo.
I
I am aware of the water situation. But no matter if Reef or Fresh, you should not have a Nitrate reading. If you do, then you are not doing proper maintenance on the aquarium. I was just curious why you thought a 0 Trate reading was suspicious. His post was original in Disease, and stress on the fish is part of the water quality, realizing that fresh water fish are much easier to keep than salt fish, but if they are used to 0 trates and you introduce high trates to them, it will not bode well for them.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #18
 
Beaches's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
I am aware of the water situation. But no matter if Reef or Fresh, you should not have a Nitrate reading. If you do, then you are not doing proper maintenance on the aquarium. I was just curious why you thought a 0 Trate reading was suspicious. His post was original in Disease, and stress on the fish is part of the water quality, realizing that fresh water fish are much easier to keep than salt fish, but if they are used to 0 trates and you introduce high trates to them, it will not bode well for them.
I think I just explained (or tried to) why I thought it was suspicious and I respectfully have to disagree with your statement "that you should not have a Nitrate reading or else you are not doing proper maintenance". I thought I explained that also.

I don't understand your last line....nobody mentioned anything about introducing high nitrates! Only that they weren't showing any at all, which again is very uncommon.
Beaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #19
 
BarbH's Avatar
 
I agree with what has been said about trates being in the fresh water aquarium. From all the research that I have done and from what I have seen from other members on this forum who have been keeping fish a lot longer than me, in the freshwater aquarium it is expected that you will see a reading on nitrates. Definitly the aim to to keep them as low as possible, which with live plants that does help. But to have zero nitrates in a freshwater system would make me question if the tank had actually cycled or not. Most of the fish that are kept in tropical tanks have been tank raised and are usually able to tolerate a wider range of parameters than their wild caught counterparts would be able to.
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarbH For This Useful Post:
Beaches (09-11-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #20
 
Beaches's Avatar
 
Thanks for commenting Barb :) I was beginning to think I was the only one! LOL!
Beaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad advice re tank from pet shop, need good advice! Ang9000 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 11-16-2011 08:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.