I have only been keeping fish since April. Read a lot here and on betttalk.com. I have platies and bettas. The tank in question is only platies, I obviously did something VERY wrong because I killed all 4 fish in a matter of hours. One issue was that the heater directions were nonexistant and I didn't realize for a few hours that I could have set the temp much more gradually. I know it's possible all my platies died because the water temp changed too fast, but I want to know if it really was that because they died so fast and even when things stabilized for a few days, they still died the next day. In fact the adult died in a few hours of putting the heater in. The juveniles died the next day. One is still alive but I count her as dead because I think she has probably a half hour and she'll be dead too.
- Ok- this is my main question (since I did so many things wrong I realize it's hard to diagnose at this point). The adult was dying and I isolated her. What I want to know is this: When a fish is about to die and then they all of a sudden do a few crazy frantic swims upside down and right side up, very fast . . what does that mean? It was very bizarre and intense. What did I do?
1. What is the size of your tank? 5 gallons
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used. API Freshwater Master test kit, also suction cup ammonia sensors just for extra awareness
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water? Freshwater
4. How long the aquarium has been set up? since June-ish but there have been changes
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? This was a temporary tank I used to put my female pregnant platies in
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No.
7. What temperature is the tank water currently? 75
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium? yes
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity. not sure, sponge filter because of fry that i expected any day now
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)? I just started using a heater Top Fin because I live in a very hot climate and don't need one in summer
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)? Lights from around noon to midnight
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate? I vacuum and I changed the water 2 times last night because i thought the tank was contaminated
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule? 2 times a day, variety but mostly New Life Spectrum small fish formula, Omega color enhancing . . and just yesterday I fed frozen Hikari bloodworms
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish? Um, they all died VERY fast. Day before they were flashing so I added a little aq salt and put the heater in because I read it might be Ich and to do those things. I also added a drop of Melafix. I know now one or all of those things were not smart but I still want to see if there is anything else I can learn from this.
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis. See above.