My tank info follows:
1. Size of aquarium: 55 gallon
3. Tank has been set up for a month
4. I have 3 fancy goldfish
5. No live plants in the tank
6. We are keeping temperature at 76, because I read warmer water is better when the fish has parasites. It was about 74 two days ago.
7. Filter make/model: Aqua tech
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? No
9. Not much sunlight, sometimes in the afternoon.
10. Last water change was today 25%
11. How often do you perform water changes? Every 2 or 3 days lately
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? twice a day, very small quantity. Tetra goldfish flakes.
13. I use florescent light 12 hours a day
14. What are your water parameters? Everything is zero except for ammonia level : between 4.0 and 8.0
15. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? Liquid, the test's name's API.
16. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? about 2 weeks ago, and they seemed healthy. The fish still seems healthy and active, even with the parasite on his tail.
I have 2 concerns that may be connected, one about my fish's tail fin, and the water quality... It's going to be a long explanation, and I probably won't be able to express myself clearly, but please bear with me.
A while ago I posted about the high ammonia level on my tank, and I started doing 25% water changes every 2 days. The tank doesn't seem to be cycled yet, as the ammonia won't go down. I'm even using Stress Zyme, but it doesn't seem to be working. Yesterday we cleaned the whole tank as it had been a month since I set up the tank, (changing 50% of the water) and now the ammonia tested even higher!
Meanwhile my newest goldfish, a pearlscale, started to have some weird spots on his tail fin, since last week. I tried looking up online to see what it was, but nothing seems to match! It isn't ick because it doesn't look like salt spots.
They were lager and whitish to dark grey, also not totally flat like a stain, but more bumpy, like a parasite. I noticed about 4 spots like that.
Yesterday, the biggest spot moved from the end of his tail to the top. This morning all the other spots disappeared, and only the larger one remained, although it looks larger and it seems to me like the other ones moved closer to one another and formed this big lump. I added some pictures, I couldn't get a good shot, but I circled the spots.
I did another 25% water change today, but the ammonia remains as high as ever. I'm at a loss of what to do, and as for my fish, I have no idea of what kind of medicine I should buy.