How to treat ich?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Tropical Fish Diseases » How to treat ich?

How to treat ich?

This is a discussion on How to treat ich? within the Tropical Fish Diseases forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I notice a couple of my Platys in my 35 gallon tank have a few white dots on their tail and fins. Theres maybe ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Black Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Blue Gourami
Blue Gourami
Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
 
How to treat ich?

I notice a couple of my Platys in my 35 gallon tank have a few white dots on their tail and fins. Theres maybe 3-4 per fish. I also have two dalmatian mollies, 2 gouramis, bala shark, 6 priscilla tetras and a rock shrimp. My 5.5 gallon had ich and I treated it with something at petsmart I got but it turns everything green. I really dont want to turn this 35 gallon green. Is there another method to use? I also have aquarium salt if needed as well

ETA- My tank is at 81 degrees

Last edited by Homer16; 01-14-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
I notice a couple of my Platys in my 35 gallon tank have a few white dots on their tail and fins. Theres maybe 3-4 per fish. I also have two dalmatian mollies, 2 gouramis, bala shark, 6 priscilla tetras and a rock shrimp. My 5.5 gallon had ich and I treated it with something at petsmart I got but it turns everything green. I really dont want to turn this 35 gallon green. Is there another method to use? I also have aquarium salt if needed as well

ETA- My tank is at 81 degrees
Temps over 85f for 2 weeks will kill it if you don't want to use meds.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
Temps over 85f for 2 weeks will kill it if you don't want to use meds.
Okay if I raise my temp to 87 degrees will it kill any of the fish I had listed in my first post?
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #4
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
Okay if I raise my temp to 87 degrees will it kill any of the fish I had listed in my first post?
I've used this method twice and put my temp to 89-90f and I never saw a problem with Platys and a Pleco. I can't speak for any other fish. I would say just watch your fish and raise and lower the temp slowly. I believe this method is safer than meds, as meds are known to be hard on fish.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
I've used this method twice and put my temp to 89-90f and I never saw a problem with Platys and a Pleco. I can't speak for any other fish. I would say just watch your fish and raise and lower the temp slowly. I believe this method is safer than meds, as meds are known to be hard on fish.
Okay the tanks at 84 degrees now. I have a new 200 watt heater in there cranked up 89 degrees but it wasnt heating it up past 83 so I added a 100 watt cranked to 89 on the opposite side of the tank so hopefully this works. If the temp reaches 90 degrees doesnt it kill ich at that temp so I wouldnt need to leave it turned up to 90 degrees for more then a few days or?
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
Okay the tanks at 84 degrees now. I have a new 200 watt heater in there cranked up 89 degrees but it wasnt heating it up past 83 so I added a 100 watt cranked to 89 on the opposite side of the tank so hopefully this works. If the temp reaches 90 degrees doesnt it kill ich at that temp so I wouldnt need to leave it turned up to 90 degrees for more then a few days or?
It won't kill it instantly, it takes up to 2 weeks. Ich can't breed in temps over 86f so it takes 2 weeks for all of the life cycles to run their course and end up not being able to breed. I like to put it at 89-90 just to make sure Ich has no chance to survive. My fish show no ill effects at 90f.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
It won't kill it instantly, it takes up to 2 weeks. Ich can't breed in temps over 86f so it takes 2 weeks for all of the life cycles to run their course and end up not being able to breed. I like to put it at 89-90 just to make sure Ich has no chance to survive. My fish show no ill effects at 90f.
Okay thanks. The temp got up to 89.5 this morning I am going to recheck it after dinner :)
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bacterial fin rot - treat or not treat the tank? DKRST Tropical Fish Diseases 2 06-26-2011 11:33 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.