I bought a new tank a couple weeks ago because I've always wanted to have one and I'm still grappling with the basics.
1. 5 gallons
2. Water parameters
N/A yet, just starting to research problem, and gather materials I used Aquasafe to treat tap water, and I'm using Melafix to treat water for sickness because that's what I thought was wrong.
3. 76 degrees F
5. About 3 weeks
6. Originally I bought 15 fish with the tank, they all looked small so I thought the 5 gallon was enough for them. Six have died and now two are showing same signs as the others. When I called the pet place all the guy would tell me is I have too many and I needed to buy a bigger tank. He didn't even give me time to explain symptoms... I understand that I have too many I guess, but I wanted to post on here too in case anyone may be able to say anything more.
5 platies, all are still alive
2 guppies, 3 have died
2 mollies, 3 have died
1 Plecostomus (Was given to me by previous owner who didn't want it anymore)
Each are about an inch long. the Plecostomus is about 3.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
8. a. Fake plants
9. a. Filtration? Yes
b. Heater? Yes
10. a. LED light
b. No sunlight exposure
11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed? N/A
c. tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Aqua safe
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? N/A
Once a day, in the evening
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
They were fine, but then started sitting at the bottom of the tank, not moving very much. Some times they would swim up about a inch from the aquarium bottom and swim in place but shake somewhat rapidly.
b. Appearance of poop? Nothing abnormal, as far as I can tell.
c. Appearance of gills? Nothing abnormal, as far as I can tell.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? yes
Was hoping for any advice, does it sound like all I need to do is get a bigger tank, or does it sound like a disease or something? I'm waiting for my test kit for water to arrive in mail.