I took my dwarf rainbow out of the tank, and put in a 5 gal bucket on Monday, when I noticed what looked like "hole in head" and lumps under his scales, near his tail. I've been testing the bucket water twice a day, using prime, but have no ammonia or nitrates, so far. I'm not feeding him, so minimizing any waste. I also have an airstone in the bucket.
I've had this fish for 8 months, my tank is always kept very clean, with nitrates never going above 10ppm. I have no ammonia or nitrites, and the tank is well planted. No other fish are showing symptoms. I just switched over on Saturday from an Aquaclear 70 to a fluval 305
On Monday I put in the bucket with the fish, medicine called "General Cure" by API. Active ingred is 250mg Metronidazole and 75mg Praziquantel. Looking at him today, I was hoping to see some improvement.
Can someone tell from this picture what the lumps by his tail could be? Perhaps I'm not treating with the right stuff, or is it normal to take longer? This is my first ill fish. I'm suppose to treat another 48 hours, and I'm really hoping I can do this in a bucket without water parameters changing. The packet seems to treat gil and skin flukes, hole in head and wasting disease
I thought it might be an external parasite, which the LFS said this would work on. He may have been wild caught, (the LFS I got him from didn't know), and came with an external parasite, perhaps?
Any help in telling me what this could be is appreciated!