and glowing green in spots under flashlight.( His tail fin in places, under his belly in a straight line) First I noticed his pec fins were turning white from the outside edge in. Otherwise they look perfect. No other white spots. (The same day, my pleco up and died. Looked perfect. not a spot out of place. All water levels are testing perfectly.) I read about the flashlight trick for velvet, and since it doesn't look like ich, I tried it. His tail fin in places, and the line under his belly ( almost tip to tail in a straight line) has an irridescent green glow under flashlight. Today, I noticed under his "chin" seems to be going white...like his scales have faded in color, and he has a white spot on his head. Again, it doesn't look like ich and isn't cottony. Just white. None of the other fish, including another black molly have any white or discoloration, or glow green. Per suggestion of Petsmart ( i know, but i was panicked) I got some blue drops and have treating the tank for 3 days. There is no change in the molly.He acts no differently than he ever has. No scratching, flashing, no curving, no shimmy...still has good appetite. Still bugs his tankmates...other than the white and green, he seems fine. HELP. These were my sister's fish that I adopted when she moved out of state and couldn't take them. Already lost the pleco...
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 29
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? fresh
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? Since end of Oct '08
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) 2 male black molly, 3 neon tetra, 3 zebra danio.
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?no
6. What temperature is the tank water currently?78
7. What make/model filter are you using? Whisper 20 power w/ Bio bags
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? forgive my ignorance here... we have airstones..?
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? not directly, but that can be easily changed if need be.If any at all , just a small streak thru the blinds.
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? sunday, 20%
11. How often do you perform water changes? Ive never done a full one. I think we've done only 2 partials. It gets low on water, so I add new about once a week.
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? tropical flakes, and for the pleco, algae wafers. 1 tiny pinch a day, except for sunday when they fast.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? standard tank light. It came with her tank. Blue i think. about 4-6 hours a day
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? see above
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. all within the safe range. Had ammonia tested at PM.
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? strips, 6 in 1
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? N/A
Sorry. I'm new to all of this. She had these fish for 1.5 years before I adopted them. This is the first issue that has come up. Your knowledge and expertise, guidance will be greatly appreciated!