This is a discussion on HELP!!!! within the Tropical Fish Diseases forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; -->
Was the gravel from a tank with fish in it ? was it taken directly from cycled tank and put in while it was ...
Is there a fishstore close that would test your water if you brought them a sample? Of course if they use test strips rather than liquid test it may not be much help. Did you add all the fish at once? how many were added? It is possible that there is or has been a small ammonia spike without accurate water test it is difficult to say what the problem is for certain. With the test results much could be eliminated or identified as possible cause. And it could very well be that he swallowed something he shouldn't have. :(
I would probably check to see if you can see the rock lodged in its mouth, and if you can take sterile tweezers and see if you can't pluck it out manually... This is probably dangerous and I wouldn't do it until you get someone elses ok on it. But definitely check if you can see the gravel (if thats what it is) in there.
Do you think that the gravel might be small enough for him to pass it without killing himself? I can't really see this turning out any other way. If he has indeed ingested a rock, unless theres a way to cause fish to vomit, I would imagine its got to come out the other way right?
I've been looking around on the internet. And theres many things people said to do. While the fish appears that he can't close his mouth is apparently the best time to try and remove it with tweezers.
Others say the fish will in fact regurgitate it, the fish could have the rock in its belly for a good week before it manages to spit it out.
I found someone recommending the when using proper dosage (That wasn't mentioned but I'll keep looking) Epsoms salt will encourage the fish to vomit.
R.I.P. fire mouth
i got a liquid ammonia and liquid nitrite test
ammonia .30 ppm
nitrite .25 ppm
and i think i know why
the gravel i put in was in a bucket with fish food too much food
the beneficial bacteria couldnt keep up with it
im doing water changes to try to lower it