For the last week or so I've been observing my carnival goldfish change from its normal white and orange-gold self to plain white. It started from its head and spread to its body, and now its tail (which was the only orange thing left). It doesn't look like fungus- the pigmentation of its body just changed to white. Is it normal for this to happen? Also, it started to swim a little tilted, is this the beginning of swim-bladder disease? I started feeding it peas again to try to remedy this.
Here are my specs:
1. Size of aquarium : 10 Gallon
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? Freshwater
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? 1 month and 3 days now
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium? one fantail goldie and one comet
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? silk/plastic
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 80 degrees Fahrenheit
7. What make/model filter are you using? Penguin 100 power filter w/ biowheel, (it's a 20g filter)
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? nope
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? Yes
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? This morning, 10%
11. How often do you perform water changes? Initially it was once a week, now it is twice a week.
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? Aqueon Tropical Flakes 2-3 times a day, hikari freeze-dried brine shrimp and blood worms as a weekly treat, periodic frozen peas & other veggies
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? incandescent, 12 hours
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? Comet (carnival?) goldie turned white
15. What are your water parameters? My last test (around 1 week ago) showed pH between 7.6 and 8.0, ammonia between 2.0 and 4.0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. I suspect the tank is still cycling.
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? Virbac Mardel 5 in 1 Test Strips and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater/Saltwater Ammonia Test Kit (liquid)
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? Last time i purchased a fish was back when I first set up the tank.