Hello everyone. I just posted my first thread today under "Is my ICH gone?" I mentioned my goby in that thread so I'm listing a new thread for his issues. His issues don't appear to by ICH related.
1. Size of tank? 25 gal
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 10 ppm
d. pH, KH and GH? pH is 8.0, not sure of KH and GH due to test kit limitation.
e. Test kit? API Master Kit
3. Temperature? Currently at 84 to fight ich
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 3 months
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 1 Praecox Rainbox - adult, 4 Bumblebee Gobies - teenagers. Had them all for 3 months.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No. All added at the same time w/other fish that have died.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Fake plants only. Scared of live plants due to my high pH and the alteration they can create in water parameters. I'm still researching adding them.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? One Big Wonder Rock. one Plastic Cave and one Cychlid Stone for the gobies. (and all the plastic plants)
9. a. Filtration? Yes. one Aquaclear 50 and one Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 (I used the Aqueon from my old 10 gal to help cycle my new 25 gal. I just kept it in there after the tank cycled due to all the meds I needed to eventually remove from the water.) I also added a bubbler to increase the oxygen in the water.
b. Heater? 200W
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Lights on at 6:30a, out at 9:30p. Flourescent
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Yes. Diffused only. Windows are across the room. Curtains up at 6:30a.
11. a. Water change schedule? Every 2 weeks - when not treating with meds. I had to do more recent changes due to meds killing my beneficial bacteria. All is stable now though.
b. Volume of water changed? 25% to 50%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Seachem Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Every 2 weeks with a nice, strong vaccum.
12. Foods? Frozen Brine shrimp, Peas for the praecox and occassionally Frozen blood worms - which now freak me out due to possible parasite introduction into the tank again.
How often are they fed? twice a day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? One goby didn't eat today. Now he's gasping and his tail is up, almost like his swim bladder is messed up. He looks bloated, like he ate too much. He may even be curling a little - like putting his tail up by his head, but I'm not sure if that's just the current in the tank. I have the water level lowered so the filters have a longer distant to spill into the tank for extra oxygen. So I'm not positive about that behavior. He looks weak. Also, 2 days ago a goby had a tiny piece of foil hanging out of his mouth, which was caught in his frozen brine shrimp from the packaging. I caught him in the net, hoping to get it out. It fell out on it's own, but I'm not sure if there was some he may have eaten. I'm concerned this might be the same goby?? However, I'm not sure if that would cause the excessive gasping.
b. Appearance of poop? Unsure
c. Appearance of gills? Coloring is normal, just gasping.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No.
b. What meds were used? I'm listing the meds that I used on my ICH treatment last month. No meds have been in the tank for 5 weeks. (First I used NOX-ICH for 3 day treatment ( which is malachite green .50% & sodium chloride .50%).) Parasite returned within 5 days. Told I might have velvet so I was referred to Acriflavin for 10 days. Parasite returned within 5 days. Due to gobies, I couldn't use copper so I was referred to metro and NOX-ICH as a combo for 4 days. Parasite returned in 9 days on one goby. At a loss, I reverted to trying higher heat and salt. Tank has been clear for 5 weeks. Intending on starting process to return tank to normal tank and salt levels tomorrow.)
Thank you for any help you can provide! My gobies are my favorite little grumpy guys!