Recently I noticed my catfish flashing. I recently had an ich outbreak in my tank, and I separated out the catfish (3 peppered, 1 panda) from the neon tetras and did a salt + heat treatment (so I could half-dose the catfish). I have seen zero spots on the cats, even before the treatment.
I still don't see any spots, and they have always been very active so it took me a few days to realize that they were flashing instead of just chasing and playing. Or maybe it just got bad. I do pay quite a bit of attention to them.
Is it possible they are flashing because of the salt? I know catfish don't always tolerate salt treatments (I did 1 dose of 1 tsp per gallon and have been doing 10% changes daily for 4 days to dilute it).
I need advice. I'm not convinced it's ich, but I don't know how to treat anything else, and they've already been treated for ich. I don't know if it could be a reaction to the saltwater? What can I do for flashing catfish?!
1. Size of tank? 10 gallon
2. Water parameters - all normal, cycled tank, tested this morning
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?
3. Temperature? 78 degrees
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 3 months
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 3 peppered catfish, 1 panda catfish, 1 mystery snail (the other tank that had the bad ich outbreak only has 5 neon tetras, same setup at the 1st tank)
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? 1st batch of fish
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? live plants
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? nothing rough, which might be why it took me a while to see the flashing. Smooth porcelain hollow jugs
9. a. Filtration? aquaclear 20 HOB
b. Heater? no
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? 8am-6pm
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? slight, through a north facing curtained window
11. a. Water change schedule? lately, 10% daily because of salt treatment
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? treated tap water
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
How often are they fed? once a day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? flashing, otherwise very active and normal
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? treated for ich last week
b. What meds were used? 1 tsp/gallon salt water, 1 time dose, let it sit for 3 days then started changing out the saltwater with fresh water