If it doesn't have legs, I kill it. plants and fish are not safe with me. :( Before I bought the fish I had two red eared sliders in my tank, and then when they started getting around 3 inches in length I gave them to the pet store who had appropriate sized tanks for them. I never tested my water with them, and they never had any health trouble. The little guys were tough. I bought 2 guppies and 2 otocinclus. Male guppy got sick and died. The other ended up with dropsy a month later. One of the otos died later. Then I got two Chinese algae eaters and they died within weeks of each other. I then got some danios, one of which died with a swollen, red tummy. Got two platies at the same time. One I think I accidentally killed while adding plants, and the other died a month later after spending a day seeming weak.
Now I have one guppy who appears to be pregnant in a 5 gal by herself (until she gives birth), all parameters are great in that tank, but her poop is sometimes clear. In the main tank I have one otocinclus, and 5 danios. One danio is very weak and maybe has kind of a bubble in it's belly. It seems to keep it's fins straight out when it swims to keep balance. Another danio has had a red wound on it's gill. I've been adding metafix and doing lots of water changes. Until about a week ago when I washed the gravel, my nitrates were crazy high, but the nitrites here good. Now the nitrites are high too. I'm going to do another 25% water change today. Am I cursed, or just stupid? Please help. I love animals and I hate to think they are suffering at my hands. Thanks to anyone who responds!
1. Size of tank? (main) 10g
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? probably high
b. Nitrite? 40-80
c. Nitrate? 3, definite stress level
d. pH, KH and GH? kh-180, ph 7.8
e. Test kit?
jungle quick dip 5 n1 test strips
3. Temperature?75 C
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? freshwater tank, small amounts of aquarium salt
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Years, but I just took out all the gravel and washed it less than a week ago.
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? see above
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? no
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? A few plants from pet store, not sure what kind
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? several decorations, two hollow, one with bubble stone
9. a. Filtration? large whisper filter
b. Heater? submersible heater
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? standard aquarium light that came with tank, only on during daylight hours.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Some natural light during daylight hours
11. a. Water change schedule? weekly (now)
b. Volume of water changed? 25% (50% last time)
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Brita filtered tap
d. Water conditioner used? prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? just cleaned, but never before
12. Foods? tetramin tropical flakes
How often are they fed? once daily
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? they keep dying, red sore on one, possible early dropsy in another
b. Appearance of poop? white, red, brown
c. Appearance of gills? normal
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? some Metafix for the wound
b. What meds were used? metafix
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.