03-23-2010, 06:56 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by hammerhead
correct when they die they die over night. lost two more last night. i did a water change last night cause there was a touch of ammonia not quiet .25. i went and bought prime water conditioner and used in the tank. everyone looked fine after i finished. why would it be only over night? ph did not change and every thing else was well in range.
When I have found a dead fish (and yes, I sometimes do) it always seems to be in the morning. Guess it's like humans, in hospitals the most deaths from terminal patients or similar is around 5 am. Don't know why.
Prime with all water changes will help a lot. You will still get an ammonia reading because Prime detoxifies ammonia by converting it to the harmless ammonium, but both ammonia and ammonia show as "ammonia" in test kits (most of them) and ammonia and ammonium are used by the bacteria and plants. So as long as the fish appear more normal, and not respirating fast, hanging at the surface, red gills, etc., the "ammonia" will probably be ammonium and not a concern.