03-04-2013, 08:14 PM
| || |
Glad that things are looking up over there, the bacterial bloom *could* very likely be associated with the use of the Melafix - it has the bad habit of being seen as a food source by bacteria in the tank. Not a big deal, it'll clear itself out, but be sure to add extra oxygenation into the tank, as the extra bacteria will be using the available oxygen, too, as with any bacterial bloom. . .
I don't know much about Plecos, so I can't really help you there. I do know that it is considered safe to use this med for two weeks instead of one, if it's necessary. If you have a tank that you can put him in for QT to rest and relax, you might want to do that. It would keep you from having to treat everyone else unnecessarily, and if the Plec is having a tough time with a fin-nipper, give him a chance to fully recover. . .
Clean, clear, stable water parameters is really the best thing that *I* know of to treat things like this, and what you're already doing is the only actual medication that I'm comfortable enough with to recommended. Perhaps others can help you there - but it sounds like at this point you've got the bacteria part kicked, and it's really just a matter of letting the fins heal themselves, and preventing it from coming back. The water changes WILL do this, along with keeping things low-stress in there.