Okay, so, i believe my guppies have external parasites. I had four originally, and bought nine more.
I lost one the first night, the second one to what i believe was mouth culminaris.
I lost three last night to an excessive temperature rise, and after looking at the dead ones, i believe the temperature spike caused the external parasites that they had to kill them quicker? All i know is that prior to the spike, i hadnt seen anything wrong with the fish that died. and when they died, they had obvious signs of parasites.
Now, my problem is with one of the two new fish i added to my main tank. I know, foolish. They seemed to be the healthiest, and after two days, plunked em in there. The male, has what i believe to be two, maybe three threadlike tiny worms on his head. anchor worms? external parasites? This is not ick.
From reading, ive learned that external parasites like the one i think my fish have been dying from, probably came from the breeder themselves, or the pets store. And considering it was petsmart, i wouldent doubt anything.
Ive also read that if one of your fish has some, then all the fish do, of some stage or another, So treating the tank as a whole is a must.
Problem is, i have two tanks.
But all the fish are infected with what i believe is the same thing. they are seperated cause i didnt want my bio load to spike, and because i was watching the other fish.
All they fish have been showing symptoms at the same time, regardless of the tank, leads me to believe its the same parasite.
But could the parasites in my main tank not have already laid eggs?
Maybe the other fish havent gotten it, because its been less than one cycle of the parasites life?
The QT tank has been treated with 1.5 table spoons of AQ salt, because of the heat spike last night.
On member said maybe i cooked all the parasites in the tank, since it got to 96 degrees? is this possible?
Also, i read salt baths can help weaken, even kill off parasites attached to the fish. I did one salt bath on my male, since he was pacing the tank, and i scooped him, and looked really closely for about a half hour, and i definitely saw the parasites. I mix my AQ salt in a water bottle, a table spoon in each bottle. The cup the guppy was in was one of the betta cups they come in from the store. it was about half full, and i filled the other half up with the AQ salt water, and didn't notice any difference in the gup's behavior, except for the gills moving bit more. I kept him in there for about five minutes, and then scooped him with a net back into the tank. If any parasites did fall off, i didnt want them to get back into the main tank.
Is this the proper way for a salt bath? I couldn't really find any clear instructions online. As a note, the male guppy isnt pacing the tank anymore!
I am getting a 55 gallon tank tomorrow. My question is, if all the fish are infected with the same parasite, would i be better off putting them all in the same tank, and medicating, and waiting a whole cycle of the parasites life to make sure the parasite is killed, and set up the 55 gallon and let it cycle?
[they are all guppies, so the bio load can handle it in the QT tank.]
My other option is to wait til i am sure the parasite is dead to even set up the 55 gal [main tank is where the 55 gal will go]. Though ive read a cycle of the parasites llife can be up to six weeks! And i suspect the cycling of the 55 will take about six weeks too. And treating two seperate tanks for the same disease seems a bit redundant to me.
So, id like your advice.