Here's the story... I was out of the country for a few weeks so I did not get my usual water changes in when I was gone. Nevertheless, I came home and my levels were fine as well as my fish (everyone was very happy). So yesterday (after being home for a week) I gave the algae on the front of the tank a good scrub and did about a 50% water change. In the process I also added a small canister filter (Eheim 2213) to the tank with filter floss and a little of the Eheim media. I set this up for a little added mechanical filtration mainly...
Anyways, so today I go to shut their light off and go to bed and everyone (i mean everyone but the plecos) are swimming on the surface of the tank, tails down and faces like a 1mm from the surface of the water... Every fish in the tank came up to do this (including 10 or so newly born fry). It was crazy. I am pretty worried about the little guys (thus me up at 1:00 in the morning typing this post).
I checked the levels and everything is fine. Here are the dats on my aquarium:
Aqarium (72 Gallong)
3. How long the aquarium has been set up?
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know)
8 or so African Cichlids ( plus 10 really really small newborns)
2-small plecos (clown plecos I think they are called? They are like 2" full grown)
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
6. What temperature is the tank water currently?
7. What make/model filter are you using?
1-Eheim Professional 2224 Canister
1-Eheim Classic 2217 Canister
1-Eheim 2213 (newly setup) Canister
1-Powerhead Connected to a Phosphate reactor filled with old carbon and bio balls.
8. Are you using a CO2 unit?
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?
Very Little (it's in the basement floor)
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
11. How often do you perform water changes?
Honestly. Every 2-3 weeks.
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
Once a day. Chichlid flakes or pellets.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on?
Compact forecent, 12 hrs or so a day.
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
PH- 7.8-8.0 (used Red Sea & API tests)
Nitrate- 10ppm (the same as straight tap water)
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips?
API Liquid Test Kit (the big one), also the same results were obtained using cheap test strips.
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank?
Long time ago...
The only think I could think of is some crazy oxygen problem but I have one of the canister outputs blowing right at the surface to circulate the water. Another output is pointed straight down near the surface. I feel it mixes the water very well. I have placed an airstone in there about an hour ago....
Any ideas what is going on?