10-16-2013, 12:45 AM
| || |
Hi Dubwub and welcome to the forum. I went ahead and moved your thread to the disease section since I'm answering it.
Do you have an ammonia kit? My guess is your guy has ammonia OR nitrate poisoning. Now, with any other species, one 3" fish in a 29gal would indeed be understocking and monthly water changes would be fine. But goldfish are special little critters. They are ammonia FACTORIES. Even a small goldfish like yours can put out an incredible amount of ammonia. I recommend doing at least 40% changes once a week. I know, it seems like a lot but seriously these fish produce so much waste and ammonia that it's insane.
When you get the chance, I suggest switching your water conditioner to Seachem Prime because of its ability to help neutralize ammonia. It's a little more expensive but it's also highly concentrated and goes a long way. You may also want to pick up some aquarium salt because I'd like you to add the recommended dosage to your tank. I believe it's 1 tablespoon per 10gals. The salt will help with the ammonia poisoning.
As for the fungus . . . it's most likely either an ammonia burn, excess slime coat, or the beginnings of columnaris. To treat this, probably the best thing is a methylene blue bath. Many small tropical fish stores (not the big box chain stores like Petsmart) carry Kordon Methylene Blue. This is a very, very effective medication at treating ammonia/nitrate poisoning. Otherwise, you may want to order it online if you can.
If we can get your guy out of the danger zone, then doing weekly water changes will really help to keep him healthy.
Hope this helps and keep us updated.