Recently, I started this topic
. I seemed to get things under control a bit. However, I woke up, this morning, and he's got barely any top tail fin left. I hope it's okay that I started a new topic because it is now, officially, an emergency. :(
I read about something you can do by taking the fish out of water, lightly brushing Mercurochrome on the ends of the fins. I'm nervous about this and don't know where I'll find the right Mercurochrome (as I read some are not safe.)
Some things to note:
- His current tank is 2 gallons. I have another tank cycling, but it is not ready, yet. I just got it started, yesterday.
- His water is clean and parameters have been checked once or twice per day. I use API's tube/liquid test kit. (I test with strips every morning to catch any significant changes and test with the kit at night.) Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites are 0ppm. His current water does have 2 tsp. Aquarium Salt.
His pH range is from 6.6-7.0. Last night's test showed 7.0. His water is treated to remove chlorine and the water is soft. I manually remove poopies with a turkey baster, daily.
- I have a LOT of trouble keeping his temp stable. I have a Hydor mini-heater, but that shoots the water up to over 80 and then I look and it's at 76 or 78. It's always between 76 and 82, but that's quite a fluctuation for a little fishie.
- He eats abot 6 tiny Hikari Gold pellets, but occasionally I swap out one 2 pellet feeding for 1 shrimp or brine worm (freeze dried).
- He is a fin biter.
- I have already tried Bettafix, Melafix, Ampicillin drops (which he would not eat), Maracyn, some other edible antibacterial food made by Jungle (which he also would not eat) and Fungus Clear. I have not combined medications.
- I just did a 25% water change (after a full change 2 days ago) and he is on day 3 of Tetracycline T.C (water treatment) by API.
I _did_ read the recommended cure (Fungus Eliminator and Methylene Blue) but they don't sell either, here. I ordered both last week and it just arrived today. Is it safe to combine Jungle's Fungus Eliminator and the Tetracycline T.C.? What about Methylene Blue? Will the Aquarium Salt affect this combination?
*** Since he does bite his own tail, I don't know if this is an infection as a result of the biting or what. For all I know, it may not even be an infection. :/
Please help, if you can! Healthy Cornelius (Homecoming Day) Sick Cornelius (7/26)
- Click for Larger, Higher Quality Pictures Sick Cornelius (7/31)
- Click for Larger, Higher Quality Picture