Complaint: my fish are dying in batches. I am quick to remove the dead or weak fish but why so many at one time?
I hope that the information below that I have will help someone help me solve the problem.
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 55
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? FRESHWATER
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? this tank 8 YEARS, keeping fish for 20+
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) plec, hatches, mollies, used to keep mor exotic stuff but with the tank problem i am spending a fortune and started stocking with common fish this has been going on for about a year
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? YES
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 75ish
7. What make/model filter are you using?
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? NO
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? YES, DURING THOSE HOURS THE LIGHT IS OUT ABOUT AN HOUR BEFORE AND AN HOUR AFTER NATURAl SUNLIGHT, 4-8 pm
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? Middle of May, 50% EVEN THOUGH TEST SAYS EVERYTHING IS OKAY
11. How often do you perform water changes? ONCE A MONTH 50%
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? 2-3 Days WARDLEY flake food, one in a great while bloodworms
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? Compact Actinic bulbs 2 at 55; 9am-11pm minus the 4-8 time because of natural light
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? my fish die in batches this time my hatchets(4) and mollies (2); this happen about every couple of months after I restock the tank, I have also noticed that when I get more that 10-12 fish
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. GH 60 I use a water softner pillow because of our hard water; KH 80-90; PH 7.0; NO20-0.5; NO2 0-20 these are pretty standard number from week to week, i have given thought that the batch of strips are bad but when i take water sample in to be tested i get the same results. are there other elements or minerals that I can test for?
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? API 5 in 1 test strips
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? couple of months ago, acted fine and allert, the small shop we go to gets fish in on Tuesday and will hold them until Friday to sell. I buy on Friday. If I place a special order they put all of mine in one tank and hold them until Friday
If you have any other questions that might help ask, I will answer the best I can
Thanks for any help