Hi guys - I posted this thread and then 15 minutes later he died. Would you review my post and give me your opinions? Thanks.
I think my male praecox has dropsy, from what I've researched. He's a praecox, and they appear to gasp a little anyway, so I didn't notice anything odd. I've had him for 2 mo's. But tonight I saw him at the surface and immediately got nervous. I noticed he looked pineconed. Then he caught the filter current, went upside down and got caught in a plant. I immediately took him out and he's in QT. He eats mostly Brine Shrimp so I'm assuming it's an over-protein diet??? I've read different information on Praecox so I feed them mostly shrimp with occasional Spectrum. I have gobies and they won't touch the Spectrum, so that's why I've fed more shrimp. The other fish appear okay. Since he's upside down should I start with med's right away? Or go to Epsom? I have both on hand so I just need expert advice on how to dose. Should I treat the whole tank or just him? I've never had dropsy so I'll be researching more tonight. Thank you!
1. Size of tank? 25 gal
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 10
d. pH, KH and GH? 8.0
e. Test kit? API Master Kit
3. Temperature? 80
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 5 mo.
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 3 bumblebee gobies and 6 praecox rainbows. Gobies are adults, praecox are teens. I've had the gobies for 5 mo's and the praecox for 2 mos.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? All fake
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Nothing fancy. 1 cave, 1 cichlid stone (that's never used), lots of fake plants.
9. a. Filtration? Yes. Two: one Aquaclear and one Aqueon
b. Heater? Yes
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Lights on at 8:30a, off at 9:00p. Standard flourescent lighting that came with tank set up.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Indirect sun from the curtains being open all day.
11. a. Water change schedule? Weekly
b. Volume of water changed? 50%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Every time
12. Foods? Brine Shrimp, occasionally Spectrum
How often are they fed? 2x day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Suddenly upside down, appears bloated, pineconing
b. Appearance of poop? Haven't seen it yet
c. Appearance of gills? Starting to gasp
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No, just noticed it
b. What meds were used? n/a
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.
Read more: Diagnosis Form - Read this before you post.