I'm really new to keeping fish. I'll admit this. I bought two guppies to add to my tank today and because I was in a rush, I didn't check them both closely. When I got the fish home and had them added to my tank, I noticed that the tail of one of the guppies was looking odd. The top was very ragged and stringy. Some googling told me that fin rot might be at play here (because I really don't want to deal with a tank full of sick fish!) but this guppy doesn't have the discolouration at the ends of his tail that so many sites seem to suggest. So, I bring this to you... the experts!
What follows are my answers to the questions you asked that I post, to the best of my knowledge. I'll admit I don't treat my aquarium like it's an extension of myself, so some things I just can't remember. I keep my fish because I like watching them, really; it hasn't progressed to full-blown hobby, yet. With that said, they are living creatures and I sure don't want them to be suffering if I can help.
1. What is the size of your tank?
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
QuickDip 6 in 1 Test Strips:
Ammonia Quick Dip brand: 0ppm
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
I have... Three Zebra Danios (about 1" each), two Mickey Mouse Platys (1"), two Dalmation Mollies (2-3"), one Hatchetfish (2"), 1 Spearfish (I think that's what they called him?) (2"), 2 guppies (under 1"). All but the guppies have been in the tank for well over a month. One Platy was born and made it without being eaten, so he's the newest (1 month old)... The rest have been in there for months.
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
Noooo. I only have one tank.
7. What temperature is the tank water currently? It fluxuates between 76 and 78 F.
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
Yes, two, and both are growing really well.
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
I honestly have no idea. I haven't replaced the filter since I got it.
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
No other equipment (other than heater and filter)... Well, I do have a fluorescent light.
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
It receives light from a north-facing window. Normally I turn the fluorescent light on at about 8am and turn it off at about 10pm.
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
I change about 5L once a week. Last change was on Sunday. I do not vacuum.
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
Fish get fed mostly dry flakes twice per day. When I was feeding them once per day, I was getting a feeding frenzy thing going on, so my LFS suggested feeding them twice a day, but less food each time. They get fed about 8am and 8pm.
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
I'm concerned about my new guppy. It's tail is really weird looking and the part of its body from about tail to stomach is white. I don't know if that is normal or not.
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
I haven't treated for anything... I'm trying to find out if I should return it to the store tomorrow, though. I live a 90 minute drive each way from the city, so I can only get in on weekends.
Here are links to two photos of the fish in question... Quality is not good; all I have is my cellphone camera. Also, for some reason when I uploaded the photos, they got flipped upside down. I think you can still see the tail in question, though. http://eurotrash.cc/temp/IMG_0329.JPG http://eurotrash.cc/temp/IMG_0330.JPG
Thanks for any help and for being patient with a newb to fishkeeping.