1. Size of tank?
Was in a 21L tank, spent a few weeks in a QT, now in a 9L tank.
2. Water parameters
I don't have a test kit, but every time I've had my water tested at the pet shop, they say it's fine but the pH is slightly high.
Currently at 26oC, but was unheated before. I live in a sub-tropical climate and the heater was overheating the tank before. I got a new heater which is working better. I plan on increasing the water temp gradually over a few days.
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?
5. How long the aquarium has been set up?
The original one was running for about 11 months before Holly got sick.
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
Holly was by himself from April to Christmas, when we added 2 platys. The platys kept chasing him, so I bought a new tank and moved them out after about 2-3 weeks. We've had Holly since April last year and the platys since Christmas Eve. We've had no health issues with any of them before this trouble started with Holly.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
Holly went into a cycled tank when we got him. The platys weren't quarantined, but they've been fine and and Holly didnt get sick until at least 6 weeks after I took them out of his tank.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
Yes, live plant on driftwood
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
Had gravel, now just bare bottom to facilitate daily 100% water changes
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?
I bought a log for Holly when he got sick, as an extra hiding pace, but I realised after a few weeks it had some rough bits on it so that's gone now.
9. a. Filtration?
In the 21L tank, yes. Always on. Since he's been sick, he;s been in either a QT or now the 9L tank with no fitration but daily 100% water changes
Only in winter last year. When it's 34oC here, the heater overheats the tank, even on the lowest setting. I have bought a new heater and the tank is currently stable at 26oC
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?
Just natural light coming in from the window. The tank gets a fair bit of light, but no direct sunlight.
11. a. Water change schedule?
I was doing 25% every week, as advised by the pet shop. I am now doing 100% changes daily.
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
Never. They told me I didn't need to bother as I had a filter. Since he's been sick, he's had a bare bottom tank and the platys are getting a weekly vacuum.
12. Foods? I started off feeding Hikari Betta pellets, but when the platys were in with him, he LOVED their flakes so I kept feeding him them. The people at the pet shop said they were fine as they were tropical fish flakes. Since he's been sick, I've been feeding him pellets twice a day (4-5 each time) and I started giving him freeze-dreid bloodworms every day at lunchtime too.
How often are they fed?
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Yes, Holly keeps getting white/silver patches on him. They are NOT fuzzy like a fungus, more like a discolouration.
b. Appearance of poop? Normal
c. Appearance of gills? White/Silver and slightly inflammed. Bubbles have recently started comig out of them when he gulps air and when he eats.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?
Yes. Did a week in AQ salt in a QT. Started adding Stress Coat because I thought he had fin rot but it was actually his tunnel. Then moved on tri-sulphur tabs for 6 days. Then my kid had to go to hospital so nothing for nearly 3 days. He was nearly back to his full colour, but after a few missed water changes, he has gone patchy silver/white again. Started back on tri-sulphur and stress coat and daily water changes on Wednesday night.
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.