This issue is affecting both tanks now. I tried to help my mentioning some things going on in both tanks. 20 gal tank
- I thought I was treating Velvet well guess what that's not what it is. I bought stuff to treat Velvet(20gal only) because minus the bronze look all signs seem match all the desciptions I had been able to find. 20 gal
- I actually ended up with Ich as a secondary infection and that is gone now but I still can't figure out what the orginal problem going on is. 20 gal
- The adult Platy are displaying white splotches which originally presented as lighter skin colorations. These have been developing for about 3 weeks. I noticed last night that most advanced splotches are deepening meaning they aren't on the surface anymore but I guess eating into the flesh. The spots are white maybe a tad bit grey. They don't appear at this point to be fuzzy or stringy. 20gal
- Loach has had 2 or 3 flopping fits. He comes out of his slate cave and will flop and rub 6 times back to back alternating sides. 10 ga
l - Platy had 2 raised bumps over his eye and have flattened out but doesn't seem likely that it is going anywhere anytime soon. Platy and Gourami both rubbing. Gourami went through a rubbing fit the other day, she would swim in the plastic tube that goes over the airline into the sponge filter. She would swim into it hard face first and rub the side of her body along the tube horizontally. I just started a couple days ago treating for possible bacterial infection (10gal only) with Maracyn Plus. Can't tell if treatment is working yet. ****EDIT Platy in this tank is developing a white color to his side it's not a deepening splotch yet but it is a oval spot about 1/2" long and 1/4" tall**** In both tanks
- almost everyone is rubbing now even some of the fry. 20gal:
3 White Clouds, 3 adult Platys, 8 Platy fry, 1 Honey Gourami, 1 yo-yo loach ** The Gourami moved in about 3-4 weeks ago**
In my 10gal
: 1 Platy, 1 Honey Gourami, and 1 Oto ***Platy moved about 3-4 weeks ago*** Both tanks
- I use the same hose and bucket, I think the problem most likely originated in the 20gal. Both tanks
- I have been battling overfeeding, growth of algae (multiple types and have been trying to reduce the hours of light.
I can't get in close enough with my camera to get pictures we can actually see.
Params are pretty consistent ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 8, temp 75-78. A couple weeks ago I had a spike in nitrate in the 20gal that was 20 one week and 40 the next but then the next week it was back to normal after a couple extra water changes. I change the tank at least weekly. ONly one or twice have I waited a week and a half. If anything I change the water too often.
The 20 gal is what I would call overstocked. I am still within the 1 inch to the gallon but I have too many actually bodies. Some will move to other tank as soon as I can get things under control again.
Pleeeeeeeeease any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am very frustrated and really about had enough. I don't know what direction to go or what to do now. I ahve been to the point of frustrated tears a couple of times now.
Thanks in advance Sadie