I had to euthanize one of my orange tetra's this afternoon due to what I believe is Columnaris. First off, I want to say that he was suffering greatly. After you see the pictures I hope you'll understand why I opted to put him out of his misery. It wasn't an easy thing to do. On 4-17 I noticed he had a clear, fuzzy "beard." It was very slight and I had to look at him with a flashlight to really see it. I immediately placed him in a hospital tank. Suspecting Columnaris I began treating both the main and QT tank on 4-18 with Furan-2. After I gave the first dose I left to visit relatives out of state and entrusted my father to treat the tanks in my absence. I returned today to find the orange tetra had gotten MUCH worse! The clear fuzz had turned whitish and spread to his gills and mouth. Not good. I know all the symptoms say Columnaris BUT I'm starting to second guess myself and wonder if it's something fungal instead. I've never dealt with Columnaris so I haven't seen it up close and personal. I really want to make sure I do everything I can to give the rest of the fish a fighting chance. SO FAR NO OTHER FISH APPEAR INFECTED. I could really use a second opinion. Here are the pic's and more detailed info. Sorry the picture quality is bad. I put him in a clear plastic bowl to take them. It broke my heart to see him struggling. Poor guy.... :(
1. Size of tank? 13 gallons
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? less than .25
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 0
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit? API Master Test Kit
3. Temperature? currently 75
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 4+ months
6. What fish do you have? ~ 3 Neon Tetra's ~ 2 neon Tetra's ~ 3 Guppies (temporarily) ~ 1 Cory Catfish
How many are in your tank? Total of 9. Please note that I normally don't have the guppies in that tank. I have been cycling a five gallon for those three.
How big are they? less than 1 inch with the exception of the catfish who is 1 1/2 in.
How long have you had them? Guppies for 7 months and tetra's 4 months
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? They have always been in the same tank minus the guppies.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? both
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Treasure chest, pirate ship, and driftwood with live plants attached
9. a. Filtration? Yes
b. Heater? Yes
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? LED's on from 7am - 7pm
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Not much, not direct light.
11. a. Water change schedule? Approx 2x week
b. Volume of water changed? 50% and a 25%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap
d. Water conditioner used? Prime.
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Every water change
12. Foods? Omega one Flakes/Hikari Shrimp 2x week/sinking pellets for catfish
How often are they fed? 2x day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? YES. On 4-17 I Noticed a clear fuzz (beard) around the mouth area of one of my orange tetra's. It was VERY slight and hard to see without a flashlight. He wasn't eating which was why I took such a close look at him to begin with.
b. Appearance of poop? Normal
c. Appearance of gills? breathing is slightly rapid
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? On thread posted 4-17 I highly suspected Columnaris and chose to treat the tank with Furan-2 in addition to lowering the temp and AQ to aid breathing. Finished Furan treatment yesterday so performed pretty hefty WC today and re-inserted carbon filter.