05-11-2011, 09:40 PM
| || | More progress !
I am making definite progress. Here is what has happened to date. The Camallanus apparently were somewhat resistant to the Levamisole. I found another thread on this forum Treating internal parasites with Fenbendazole
That link above has a recipe for using 22.2% Fenbendazole granules (Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer, purchased from Petco). I modified the recipe slightly. I ground up, using a spoon, 1/4 teaspoon of the fenbendazole granules and mixed that well with about 10-20ml of water (3-5 teaspoons). I let a serving of frozen bloodworms soak in that mix for one hour. I did not have any of the Seachem Focus on hand, but would recommend it to help the medicine delivery. I kept the tank dosed with a 2% Levamisole concentration. The Levamisole seemed to greatly increase my fishes appetite. They consumed the treated bloodworms without hesitation. I did not dump the entire mix into my tank, but spooned out the bloodworms, with a small amount of mix, to feed. After the treatment yesterday afternoon, no worms are visible as of this AM. I followed that up with a third treated feeding this evening. I'll repeat this medicated bloodworm feeding cycle two or three more times at 7-10 day intervals. Based on my research, that should break the Camallanus life cycle (approx 30 days) quite nicely.
I'm adding this treatment cycle to my new fish quarantine treatment. The cost of treatment is cheap and I do NOT want to deal with this again. I also started treating my kids 29 gallon guppy tank - that tank has been losing fish for inexplicable reason(s) since it was set up. The guppies could be the original source of my parasitic infection. I kept the guppies in my 55 gallon before getting the angelfish.
Last edited by DKRST; 05-11-2011 at 09:42 PM..