1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 10
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? freshwater
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? 6 months
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) blood parrot cichlid, 6 cardinal tetras, 5 neon tetras
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? no
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 78-80
7. What make/model filter are you using? whisper w/ carbon
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? yes, a little from 5pm to 7pm
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? I've done a 30% water exchange last night
11. How often do you perform water changes? once a week
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? twice a day, cichlid pellets and tropical flakes
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? it's the light that came with the aquarium kit, I turn it on at 8am & off at 9pm
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? I noticed a little over a week ago that the parrot looked pale behind his color. He wasn't eating as much as normal. Then, he started sitting in one spot at the top of the tank, not eating at all. Now he moved to a spot directly in front of where the filter turns the water back into the tank, fighting the current. He won't move from that spot. He won't eat a thing. I have also treated the tank for parasites in case that was the trouble. I can start to see his skeleton thru his skin. He is a young parrot. Only 3-4" long right now.
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I have PH of 7.4 to 7.8. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate show perfect.
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? strips
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? I bought some albino corys to put in his tank to keep the bottom clean about 3 weeks ago. I thought that maybe they brought some flukes or something with them and that's why I treated for that. The medication also treated for hematits (hole in the head) disease too. But there was no change in him. I only treated once and it said you could do it up to 2 times. Do you think I should try again? I don't know what to do for him. He will swim up when he sees me. But then goes right back to his corner by the filter. I have even bought baby size cichlid pellets to see if he would try them, but he won't. I don't see any signs of any parasites on his skin, no sores, nothing. I add salt to the water when I do a water change. I am at a complete loss.