Looks like I'm getting ready to lose another Praecox. I posted another thread titled, "Dropsy?Bloated? Upside down w/pic" but he died within 15 minutes of him showing any signs of sickness. He was only slightly bloated. He hid a lot, but I assumed it was because he was not the alpha male. I couldn't tell if he was gasping because it wasn't overly obvious. Praecox have a natural mouth movement anyway. I assumed it was because I overfed brine shrimp. My gobies on the bottom won't eat peas.
Now I have a female who is completely bloated and starting to gasp. So I fasted the tank for 2 days and fed peas. She's active and eating but I haven't seen her poop at all. She appears to have a slight orange spot on her side, which I can only assume is internal bleeding? She's in QT and I'm starting epsom. Should I treat the tank for bacteria? If so, what should I use? Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on with my Praecox? Thanks.
1. Size of tank? 25 gal
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 10
d. pH, KH and GH? 8.0
e. Test kit? API Master Kit
3. Temperature? 80
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 5 mo.
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 3 bumblebee gobies and 6 praecox rainbows. Gobies are adults, praecox are teens. I've had the gobies for 5 mo's and the praecox for 2 mos.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? All fake
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Nothing fancy. 1 cave, 1 cichlid stone (that's never used), lots of fake plants.
9. a. Filtration? Yes. Two: one Aquaclear and one Aqueon
b. Heater? Yes
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Lights on at 8:30a, off at 9:00p. Standard flourescent lighting that came with tank set up.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Indirect sun from the curtains being open all day.
11. a. Water change schedule? Weekly
b. Volume of water changed? 50%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Every time
12. Foods? Brine Shrimp, occasionally Spectrum
How often are they fed? 2x day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Suddenly upside down, appears bloated, pineconing
b. Appearance of poop? Haven't seen it yet
c. Appearance of gills? Starting to gasp
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No, just noticed it
b. What meds were used? n/a
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.