01-16-2008, 12:33 AM
| || |
Nitrates alone won't tell us anything that can offer any help. Ammonia, nitrite, and pH are just as equally important, and its how they match up that tells us more of what's happening in there. If an ammonia spike hits when the fry are born, depending on how high it goes, it can take a very long time to break down to nitrates. Ammonia and nitrite in any amount are toxic, most especially to fry or weak/injured/sick fish. It is very possible that your nitrates come down when you do a water change, then when fry are born, the ammonia spikes, and by the time its broken down to nitrates, you're ready to do another water change... so knowing where you're at all the way across the board on water params is the only way we can try to determine what is happening.