I am in great need of help. It's like my bettas fins are deteriorating before my eyes.
A couple of months ago, I noticed one of his fins was 'curling.' I made sure to keep his water clean and hoped for the best (as I read not too medicate too quickly).
Things were looking up.
One day, I woke up and fed him and he jerked his body. Pieces of fin fell off.
I changed his whole setup to a larger bowl with fresh plants. (I had considered an Eclipse 3, but my betta does NOT like water movement at ALL.) He seemed better for a while.
Then, clear signs of fin rot started showing.
I tried a medication they are supposed to eat. He won't eat it.
I tried Betta Fix -- No improvement.
I changed everything in his bowl and tried Melafix -- No improvement.
I changed everything and tried Maracyn -- There was improvement for about 2 1/2 days. Then, a big chunk of tail flaked off.
I changed everything, removed plants and tried Fungus Clear. Within 24 hours, I noticed major improvements. This only lasted about 2 1/2 days, as well. Again, chunks of tail started coming off and a hole appeared.
Yesterday evening, I put him in a (filterless) 5.5 gallon aquarium. I got him right into it, because I felt is was important to give him even more water to 'heal' in. Conditions in the tank were the same as conditions in his bowl. All he has is a mini heater and round stones. I put in a fresh dose of Fungus Clear. I also added 1 T of Aquarium Salt (after calling Jungle Labs to make sure this could be used in combination with Fungus Clear).
Some things to note:
- This is my first fish.
- I have caught him turning and nipping his own tail.
- I give him complete water changes at least once per week.
- I give him a partial change at least once per week.
- I test his water with strips and tubes. One day, during all of this (but several weeks ago) his nitrates/nitrites shot up. He got an immediate water change and I bought the ammonia test. Since that day, all tests show normal levels. I have no ammonia, no nitrates, no nitrites. His pH always seems slightly acidic at first and is normal after a day or so. It does remain in the normal levels for bettas. The water is murky today (from the salt, maybe? cycling?) but all levels look good. If needed, I will report exact levels after today's tube tests.
- I use Jungle's 'Tank Buddies' Water conditioner in filtered or spring water and test before putting him in.
- I have not been able to maintain steady water temps. They fluctuate between about 76 and 82, but closer to 76-78 most of the time.
- Some of his top fins are curled. His bottom fins are half perfect and half clumped and curled (but these are still quite long). It seems the bad half of his bottom fins are showing regrowth. There are some translucent, but slightly coloured patches where there were some fragile fins and tears before. Some damaged areas now have semi-translucent but semi-coloured bottoms. His back fins/tail are a MESS. The top half is showing a lot of shredding and within the past few hours I have noticed white ends. I can't tell if this is a secondary fungal infection or regrowth.
- His behaviour has seemed okay until these last few days. Now, he is showing discomfort, when he swims. (As the back fin gets shorter, it's seemingly more difficult for him to push himself along.) He's also been taking longer rests, near the bottom.
- He gets 5-6 Hikari Gold tiny pellets, per day...divided into 3 feedings.
- He does not get natural sunlight. I have tried using over-aquarium lights but, currently (and for the past few weeks), I have only used a small lamp next to him.
I took photos but can't find my USB cable.
I did buy that Eclipse 3, hoping I could nurse him back to health in the 5.5 gallon without a filter and move him to it afterward. I also purchased tetracycline (in case I needed it) and ordered Fungus Eliminator and Methylene Blue. No one here sells it and I won't get this for DAYS.
I hope that's more than enough information, but I will try to answer any other questions. I want to help him, but I don't know what else to do.
Thanks for your time.