articals on ich reatment - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Tropical Fish Diseases » articals on ich reatment

articals on ich reatment

This is a discussion on articals on ich reatment within the Tropical Fish Diseases forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> fyi water perameters: amm: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 0.25ppm.. temp: 82F, high ph: 7.4 regular water changes done on main tank.....

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Diptail Pencilfish
Diptail Pencilfish
Zebra Loach
Zebra Loach
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
articals on ich reatment
Old 08-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
 
fyi water perameters: amm: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 0.25ppm.. temp: 82F, high ph: 7.4 regular water changes done on main tank..
freshAqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshAqua View Post
i noticed yestrday that my white colored ballon molly was flashing/scratching and swimming irradically.. since he is white i cant see 'ich' specks.. i dont want to go through the trama of treating my planted tank for ich.. especially since he is the only one showing this behavior. i put him into a 2gallon tank w/ich treatmnt.. by the time a fish is scratching how far in the 'cycle' is the parasite? molly isnt scratching in the 2 gallon i just dont know when it would be safe to return him to main tank... your thoughts are appreciated..

most of the time even after the spots are gone we'll keep in qt for at least another 7 days to make sure everything is really gone.never treat the whole main tank for ich the color in the medication will stain the tank and deco not to mention kill off shrimp if they are present.you might one to up the temp in the main tank up a little so the rest don't get it too.no salt and no active carbons are to be used with meds.they are attached to the skin and are a nearly fully developed trophont hidden under the fish skin and is safe from meds . At aquarium temperatures of 75 to 80F this feeding stage lasts only a few days after that the fully developed cyst drops off the fish as a tomont and this is the best time of killing them as they are free swimming in the tank.
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_penang View Post
most of the time even after the spots are gone we'll keep in qt for at least another 7 days to make sure everything is really gone.never treat the whole main tank for ich the color in the medication will stain the tank and deco not to mention kill off shrimp if they are present.you might one to up the temp in the main tank up a little so the rest don't get it too.no salt and no active carbons are to be used with meds.they are attached to the skin and are a nearly fully developed trophont hidden under the fish skin and is safe from meds . At aquarium temperatures of 75 to 80F this feeding stage lasts only a few days after that the fully developed cyst drops off the fish as a tomont and this is the best time of killing them as they are free swimming in the tank.
To not treat the main tank is wrong advice, IMHO. Once ich presents itself on one fish in the main tank the entire main tank is infected. I have successfully battled ich twice in my planted community display tank and have treated with Kordon's Rid-Ich+ at half strength with no ill effects. I DO NOT use salt nor do I bump the temp up.

Here's a nice concise article that I like that explains ich in a nutshell:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/ich.shtml
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
does rich ich has color? plus bryon says ich meds aint good for plants.
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_penang View Post
does rich ich has color? plus bryon says ich meds aint good for plants.
Yes, Kordan's Rid-Ich+ is colored, as are all meds with malachite green. My tank is planted and this medicine had no ill effects on any of my plants. Nothing in my tank was stained but I do not keep plastic ornaments and such in my tank. Just plants and driftwood.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
hmm..so thats why theres so many different types of different ideas on ich.if they said it would color the tank they would probably have plastic deco in mind. wonder whats making the plants not do well.is it because it stains the water and make less light reach he plants or is it something chemical thats disturbing the more sensitive plants?
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #17
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_penang View Post
hmm..so thats why theres so many different types of different ideas on ich.if they said it would color the tank they would probably have plastic deco in mind. wonder whats making the plants not do well.is it because it stains the water and make less light reach he plants or is it something chemical thats disturbing the more sensitive plants?
The medicine has had no effect on my plants what so ever. I have a variety of plants ranging from crypts, anubias, swords, assorted stem plants and tiger lotus. The meds didn't effect them at all.
What will effect plants negatively is the high temp/salt method that some people recommend for treating ich. Also, scaleless fish are impacted very negatively by the heat/salt treatment.
The meds will stain plastic decorations and silicone, so you run the risk of permanently staining those items using the meds. One of the outtake hoses on my filter was stained but here I am a year later and you can hardly tell that it ever was blue as it's now back to being clear. I'd rather save my fish than worrying about something getting stained, but that's just me.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #18
 
the thing is that im not entirely sure that it is ich... the molly (white) was the only 1 flashing.. i cant see any white specks but theyd be hard to see even if they were there.. no one else has shown any symptoms and the molly has stopped flashing since removing him from the main tank.. im just not sure when i can return him.. the sooner the better since he is in a tiny tank alone..
freshAqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #19
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshAqua View Post
the thing is that im not entirely sure that it is ich... the molly (white) was the only 1 flashing.. i cant see any white specks but theyd be hard to see even if they were there.. no one else has shown any symptoms and the molly has stopped flashing since removing him from the main tank.. im just not sure when i can return him.. the sooner the better since he is in a tiny tank alone..
how long has he been in there with the meds? if you want to put him in it's ok since it stressing the fish in the small tank.if the rest show sign then dose the tank like aunt kim said.
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 AM   #20
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
The medicine has had no effect on my plants what so ever. I have a variety of plants ranging from crypts, anubias, swords, assorted stem plants and tiger lotus. The meds didn't effect them at all.
What will effect plants negatively is the high temp/salt method that some people recommend for treating ich. Also, scaleless fish are impacted very negatively by the heat/salt treatment.
The meds will stain plastic decorations and silicone, so you run the risk of permanently staining those items using the meds. One of the outtake hoses on my filter was stained but here I am a year later and you can hardly tell that it ever was blue as it's now back to being clear. I'd rather save my fish than worrying about something getting stained, but that's just me.

wonder what plants bryon meant.hmm... can we ask bryon to make another sticky on plants that does not do well with certain meds or chemiccals in the water? do you think thats possible.
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.