07-14-2013, 08:24 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by pop
The ground fault thing I guess is reasonable though I am not sure a gfi plugged into the standard wall outlet provides more safety protection, it only provides protection from the gfi outlet not the current flowing through the rest of the circuit which would be able to shock you. The gfi outlet must also be connected to a gfi circuit breaker in the main box to provide serious protection. You could wear rubber sole shoes and gloves to be just as protected from shock. Remember pure water insulates electricity it the TDS that shocks you!
A GFCI outlet or an extension cord protected by a GFCI device, properly installed, provides the same circuit protection as a GFCI circuit breaker, according to my electrician friends. The GFCI circuit breakers do protect the entire circuit of outlets coming off that breaker, whereas a GFCI outlet only protects that individual outlet and others "downstream" on that branch of the circuit.
The basic electronics that measure and trip when the amount of electricity return becomes "unbalanced" (a simplified explanation of how GFCI works) are identical in the outlet and circuit breaker.
The BEST protection is to simply unplug everything!!!