Originally Posted by TheWonderfulWub
Looks like a good start. Couple questions:
1) Are you going to drill the tank and install a sump?
2) What are your goals for livestock? SPS? LPS? Clams? Enough Xenia to choke a horse?
3) What other gear/mods do you have planned for the tank?
First of all, thanks.
1) I think that the cons outweigh the pros of a sump on a 16 gallon tank. I know I gain water volume, but I have to find a tank that fits under the stand, drill the tank and concoct a sump that will be efficient with bubble traps and what not.
2) My first goal is to get a pair of clowns in the tank. Most likely false Percs. I also would like a Yasha Goby/ Pistol Shrimp combo. Maybe a couple of peppermint shrimp to take care of aptasia and other detritus. Lastly nassarius snails, hermits and probably a serpent sea star as a cleaning crew.
For corals I think I will do low-light, softies and polyps. Nothing too light dependant, I am probably going to invest in a
Fixture. I haven't decided which way I want to go yet (and what type of funding the finance department, aka wifey, will release on this project).
I will never keep a clam again as I read up on how much light and plankton they require. It seems to me that more clams are killed in aquariums each year than survive. I am going to go slow on corals, so we'll see as this build progresses...
3) Gear/mods: I am outfitting the tank with a Hydor Nano 240 powerhead, an Fluval 204 canister with only LR in it, and probably (due to a discussion on carbon in a different thread) a Prizm skimmer. I know the Prizm is a black-listed skimmer, but I have one hanging around and think I will make the necessary modifications to make it worthwhile. If not I also have a Seaclone CC that may be able to be mod to produce skimmate.
I really want to make a mod on the hood that came with it. Right now it only has the one little strip for the T8 light that came with it. I want to keep a lid on this tank as evaporation can be a killer in a smaller tank and this should help to slow that down. If I run that LED fixture that I linked or even the Quad T5, I will need more glass to let the light in. I am thinking of bending 1/4" plexi into the shape I am looking for and maybe re-use the lid part...