46 gallon bow front build - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 68 Old 12-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Member
 
very nice so far, great dry rock, is that from marco rocks? really looks good !
terryap is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 68 Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryap View Post
very nice so far, great dry rock, is that from marco rocks? really looks good !
Yup, they are from marcorocks. I did some more rock placement earlier today, I dont think im going to end up using all of my rock but thats ok...I'll save it for my next tank 8)

I got a question about quarantine tanks tho. Would a 20 gal be big enough for me? Also, what all goes in a Q-tank?? I am going to replace that smaller aquaclear powerhead with another Koralia 4 pretty soon. Ill have 2400 gph with that and I was just going to put that smaller powerhead in the quarantine tank. What else needs to go in there?

I am also open for suggestions for new lighting. I know what I have will not be adequate when I start getting corals. I would like to get a light that would not limit me on the types of corals I can get, but that may not be feasible due to my budget...but we will see. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
John
JohnnyD is offline  
post #23 of 68 Old 12-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Member
 
a 20 Gallon with one power head would be fine, but for the filtration, not 100% sure, but from what I have read, a filter similar to that used on a freshwater, such as an aquaclear, would be sufficient, no need for a skimmer. It has been suggested that you soak the sponge to be used in the QT in your main SW display for a few days and then apply it to your filter in the QT.
terryap is offline  
post #24 of 68 Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Terry Ann, would you recommend the Seio 1500 you have over the Koralia 4? It's a little more expensive but looks like a good quality powerhead
JohnnyD is offline  
post #25 of 68 Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Member
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I got a question about quarantine tanks tho. Would a 20 gal be big enough for me? Also, what all goes in a Q-tank?? I am going to replace that smaller aquaclear powerhead with another Koralia 4 pretty soon. Ill have 2400 gph with that and I was just going to put that smaller powerhead in the quarantine tank. What else needs to go in there?
A 20 gallon would be a great Q tank. I would suggest adding a sponge filter to the intake of your power head, or a hang on AquaClear with sponge. This is all the filtration you need for a Q, unless you happen to have a spare skimmer laying around.

Adding the sponge to your display for a week or so will help to seed the bacteria on the sponge to establish and effective biological filter for a Q.
Pasfur is offline  
post #26 of 68 Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Member
 
john,

I have both the Koralia 4 and the seio 1500, the seio is by far stronger if you are looking for maximum current, but the Koralia is great as well!
terryap is offline  
post #27 of 68 Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Member
 
just another note, the Koralia offers more flexibility than the seio, so the Koralia is one point up on that note....
terryap is offline  
post #28 of 68 Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Is this lighting pretty decent? Coralife Aqualight Single Linear Strip Compact Fluorescent Fixture, 2X65 Watt, 48 inch It's 2 compact fluorescents, pushing 65 watts a piece. I am really clueless on what type of lighting I need. What type of corals will this limit me too? Any other lighting suggestions? This option sits comfortably in my price range as I would like to stay under $175 or so
JohnnyD is offline  
post #29 of 68 Old 01-02-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
newest pic, taken from a cell phone so the quality isnt great but so far i think the tank is looking good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0042.jpg (7.7 KB, 82 views)
JohnnyD is offline  
post #30 of 68 Old 01-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Member
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Is this lighting pretty decent? Coralife Aqualight Single Linear Strip Compact Fluorescent Fixture, 2X65 Watt, 48 inch It's 2 compact fluorescents, pushing 65 watts a piece. I am really clueless on what type of lighting I need. What type of corals will this limit me too? Any other lighting suggestions? This option sits comfortably in my price range as I would like to stay under $175 or so
You should be able to keep some basic soft corals under this lighting, similar to what you find in my 54 reef.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/s...t-build-21969/
Pasfur is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
54 Gallon Corner Bow Front JoshnAmelia Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 22 01-31-2010 11:11 AM
Clown Loaches 30 Gallon Bow Front JokerBoyX Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 04-19-2009 01:45 PM
Questions in regards to making a new lid for a 46 gallon bow front tank ChiLady DIY Aquarium 1 10-12-2008 01:59 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome