PLZ Help on a 20 gallon FOWLR - Page 7
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Saltwater Fish » PLZ Help on a 20 gallon FOWLR

PLZ Help on a 20 gallon FOWLR

This is a discussion on PLZ Help on a 20 gallon FOWLR within the Saltwater Fish forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> Originally Posted by Stingray81 thanks reefing madness for the links!! i never knew how cheap i could get them,with these lights will i be ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Sohal Tang
Sohal Tang
Threadfin Butterfly
Threadfin Butterfly
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
PLZ Help on a 20 gallon FOWLR
Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #61
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray81 View Post
thanks reefing madness for the links!! i never knew how cheap i could get them,with these lights will i be able to grow any corals i want or just soft?
With those that I listed above, you can keep...... Anything ..... Either of thoes lights puts you wll over 5watts per gallon, and for a Reef, thats plenty.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #62
 
cool thanks ill add that later on to the bigger tank,did you see the post on the lion fish ? can you help me out?
Stingray81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #63
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray81 View Post
cool thanks ill add that later on to the bigger tank,did you see the post on the lion fish ? can you help me out?
My bad, I must have missed the post on the Lion Fish. And I went back and still could not find it??? Is it in this thread?? Sorry.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #64
 
ok guys,my local fish store has a lion fish grow out tank they are babies now only about 1"-3" long,i asked him if it would be ok to start them in a 20 long tank and then upgrade as they start to get bigger,he said that would be fine although babies are really hard to take care of especially when it comes to feeding,now that my tank will be fully cycled friday i wanted to get your perspectives on it,if you have any experience on lion fish,what i would like to do is keep this 20 long going and upgrade hopefully before xmas to a 55-65 gallon nothing over a 75 gal, and skip the corals at first and do a fowlr with kind of a predator tank going!I've seen some vids on youtube and already decided my stocking and live rock formation.Let me know what you guys think as far as the lionfish.

btw it's a russells lion fish not a volitan,really cool fish!
[Reply]
Posted via Mobile Device
Stingray81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #65
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray81 View Post
ok guys,my local fish store has a lion fish grow out tank they are babies now only about 1"-3" long,i asked him if it would be ok to start them in a 20 long tank and then upgrade as they start to get bigger,he said that would be fine although babies are really hard to take care of especially when it comes to feeding,now that my tank will be fully cycled friday i wanted to get your perspectives on it,if you have any experience on lion fish,what i would like to do is keep this 20 long going and upgrade hopefully before xmas to a 55-65 gallon nothing over a 75 gal, and skip the corals at first and do a fowlr with kind of a predator tank going!I've seen some vids on youtube and already decided my stocking and live rock formation.Let me know what you guys think as far as the lionfish.

btw it's a russells lion fish not a volitan,really cool fish!
[Reply]
Posted via Mobile Device
I would personally not do it. I've had one, they grow rather quickly, and 20g is really small even for a baby. Let the LFS get them to eat prepared foods first, you upgrade your tank and when they get to 3-4" then you get one.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #66
 
So your saying wait to get one till i upgrade my tank and get one thats not a baby?the guy at the stOre said its difficult because you have to introduce them to lots of foods and see which one they like the best, and he said not to feed them goldfish i thought you can feed them live gold fish???
Posted via Mobile Device
Stingray81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #67
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray81 View Post
So your saying wait to get one till i upgrade my tank and get one thats not a baby?the guy at the stOre said its difficult because you have to introduce them to lots of foods and see which one they like the best, and he said not to feed them goldfish i thought you can feed them live gold fish???
Posted via Mobile Device
They don't want you to get them stuck on them. I on the other hand had one for some time and fed him goldfish. HE GOT BIG. He never had trouble, but I had to get rid of my Agressive tank guys because they really cost slot to feed. I had Puffer, Lion, Spotted Grouper and a Snowflake Eel. They all ate gold fish, none of my fish had issues with them. They want you to feed them none live foods, they are actually better for the fish, but its hard to say whether they will take to the processed foods. Thats why I say let them rear the fish first, then its alot easier on you that way. And the size of the tank will make it easier on the fish.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #68
 
ok,i got a 55 gallon tank about a week and a half ago it came with snails,hermits,clownfish x2,horseshoe crab so last weekend i went into the lfs and got a baby volitan lionfish!! being a baby lionfish i know for a fact it won't harm my clowns so i set up a nano tank downstairs to put the clowns in im pretty stoked about the fowlr 55 gallon my stocking plans are 1 lionfish,1 picasso trigger,yellow tang,convict tang,angel fish?? of some kind, or anything else i can find that i like

the only problem is i can't seem to get my lion to eat?? i just got him last saturday and the guy @ fish store said they will basicly starve themselves for a couple days then start eating but im a little worried its been about 3 days and i try everyday im feeding him sliver sides which i have to cut up for him to eat he won't even pay anttention to them any tips?? the silversides im giving him are HUGE their heads are bigger than his head! are they too big??
Stingray81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #69
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray81 View Post
ok,i got a 55 gallon tank about a week and a half ago it came with snails,hermits,clownfish x2,horseshoe crab so last weekend i went into the lfs and got a baby volitan lionfish!! being a baby lionfish i know for a fact it won't harm my clowns so i set up a nano tank downstairs to put the clowns in im pretty stoked about the fowlr 55 gallon my stocking plans are 1 lionfish,1 picasso trigger,yellow tang,convict tang,angel fish?? of some kind, or anything else i can find that i liek


No way. Can't have those fish in that small of a tank. Lion Fish. And thats going to push it, wait til you see how big he gets.


the only problem is i can't seem to get my lion to eat?? i just got him last saturday and the guy @ fish store said they will basicly starve themselves for a couple days then start eating but im a little worried its been about 3 days and i try everyday im feeding him sliver sides which i have to cut up for him to eat he won't even pay anttention to them any tips?? the silversides im giving him are HUGE their heads are bigger than his head! are they too big??
Try the small live feeder fish, see if this just perks his interest. Next time you buy a fish though, tell the LFS guy to feed him right in front of you, so you know he is eating.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #70
 
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Volitan Lionfish, Colored
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Humu Picasso Triggerfish
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Convict Tang
All require a much bigger tank than a 55g.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 60 Gallon FOWLR build Mr Fishy Saltwater Journals 13 01-25-2011 01:13 AM
10 Gallon Nano FOWLR dylan94 Nano Reef 44 05-27-2010 04:07 PM
30 Gallon FOWLR Zeetrain Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 10 05-19-2010 09:37 PM
New 20 gallon FOWLR wake49 Saltwater Fish 2 08-22-2008 10:10 PM
help me set-up my 50 gallon fowlr saber1971 Saltwater Fish 8 06-13-2008 10:20 PM


Tags
20 gallon, saltwater aquarium, setup salwater tank

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.