Eel Not Eating - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Eel Not Eating

My boyfriend and I just recently bought a Green Wolf Eel and he won't eat live or dead food. Is he still adjusting or what could be wrong. Please help.
NewAquarium is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 10-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAquarium View Post
My boyfriend and I just recently bought a Green Wolf Eel and he won't eat live or dead food. Is he still adjusting or what could be wrong. Please help.
Welp, need general stuff here. Tank size? How much Live Rock? (hiding places) Other fish that may pick on him. Stuff like that.
Ammonia level
Nitrate level
Nitrite level
And, sometime it might take a day or 2 for them to warm up to eating.
Reefing Madness is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Member
 
trukgirl's Avatar
 
I second what Reefer said.

JoAnn
custom 7ft 125g softie/leather Reef
44g marine predator fowlr

100g outdoor pond/waterfall
trukgirl is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
It's a 28 gallon tank with three large live rocks and a pirate thing he sleeps in. We are getting more live rock with weekend but it's a slow process. We have two pajama cardinals and had a shrimp. He finally ate and then he ate our shrimp.
NewAquarium is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Member
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAquarium View Post
It's a 28 gallon tank with three large live rocks and a pirate thing he sleeps in. We are getting more live rock with weekend but it's a slow process. We have two pajama cardinals and had a shrimp. He finally ate and then he ate our shrimp.
There is a great chance he will attempt to eat the Pajama Cardinals also. Not a good choice mixing these fish.
Pasfur is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Member
 
trukgirl's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasfur View Post
There is a great chance he will attempt to eat the Pajama Cardinals also. Not a good choice mixing these fish.
+1!!! He WILL eventually eat everything that will remotely fit in his mouth. Its not IF he will eat them, its WHEN.

How old was it when you got it? Do you know its previous history? Some will only eat live, moving things while others (like my snowflake) will eat frozen chunks. I do soak his frozen food in a cpl oz of tank water with Garlic Guard to attract him, maybe try that? Remember most eels can barely see, they go by smell.

JoAnn
custom 7ft 125g softie/leather Reef
44g marine predator fowlr

100g outdoor pond/waterfall
trukgirl is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trukgirl View Post
+1!!! He WILL eventually eat everything that will remotely fit in his mouth. Its not IF he will eat them, its WHEN.

How old was it when you got it? Do you know its previous history? Some will only eat live, moving things while others (like my snowflake) will eat frozen chunks. I do soak his frozen food in a cpl oz of tank water with Garlic Guard to attract him, maybe try that? Remember most eels can barely see, they go by smell.
Green wolf eels aren't true eels, they are a type of blenny. They have good vision, learn to recognize you, and are..almost insatiable. They live to eat. I've seen a couple that will come up and eat pellets from the top. Just give it a few days, once it is settled it should start eating.
Chevelle is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Member
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle View Post
Green wolf eels aren't true eels, they are a type of blenny. They have good vision, learn to recognize you, and are..almost insatiable. They live to eat. I've seen a couple that will come up and eat pellets from the top. Just give it a few days, once it is settled it should start eating.
Actually... the Green Wolf Eel is a type of Dottyback, which contributes to their territorial behavior and aggression towards invertebrates and small bite sized fish. Good point, however, that they are not actually eels.
Pasfur is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Member
 
trukgirl's Avatar
 
Posted via Mobile Device
trukgirl is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Member
 
trukgirl's Avatar
 
guess thats what i get for assuming.
Posted via Mobile Device
trukgirl is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Keep Tetras From Eating Betta Food/ Bettas Eating Tetra Food? bloo97 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 07-22-2010 05:58 PM
My gar is not eating lotsnlotsoffish Introduce Yourself 4 01-08-2010 12:34 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome