clown fish eggs - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
clown fish eggs

if i were to put a male and female clown together in a 29 gallon tank what would be the possible chance of the female to lay eggs?
jjtf00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 11-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtf00 View Post
if i were to put a male and female clown together in a 29 gallon tank what would be the possible chance of the female to lay eggs?
Virtually none as far as I remember. Though in theory it could be done.
willieturnip is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2009, 01:08 AM
Member
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
clowns can def. reproduce in the home aquarium, but survival in a display tank wont happen. to start you'll need a sexually mature pair of clowns and even then things will happen on their terms. if the clowns did lay eggs in the display, eventually they are eaten, sucked into a powerhead/skimmer, starve... so best method is a seperate tank.
onefish2fish is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
clowns can def. reproduce in the home aquarium, but survival in a display tank wont happen. to start you'll need a sexually mature pair of clowns and even then things will happen on their terms. if the clowns did lay eggs in the display, eventually they are eaten, sucked into a powerhead/skimmer, starve... so best method is a seperate tank.
why would i need a seperate tank? they would be the only fish in it
jjtf00 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 AM
New Member
 
The reason why you need a separate tank is because your male clownfish might eat the eggs. Although in theory, the female fish will protect, the male may tend and may become aggressive just to get what he wants. Be very observant, once your female lays the eggs, separate the male immediately. You can get more breeding information here: http://www.aquariumfishexperts.com/c...ish/clownfish/

If you're breeding, the ratio should be 1 male and 3 female. But you should prepare yourself for a standard community tank.
izzasy is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 12-07-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzasy View Post
The reason why you need a separate tank is because your male clownfish might eat the eggs. Although in theory, the female fish will protect, the male may tend and may become aggressive just to get what he wants. Be very observant, once your female lays the eggs, separate the male immediately. You can get more breeding information here: Clownfish

If you're breeding, the ratio should be 1 male and 3 female. But you should prepare yourself for a standard community tank.

or i could just get the eggs and get rid of the male clown fish.... that way i dont have to spend the extra unnecessary 500 dollars
jjtf00 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 12-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Member
 
Kellsindell's Avatar
 
Some of the information on here is incorrect, but rather then trying to explain a lot of it, here's a website of someone that has been doing it for years with clowns and bangaii cardinals.
| Breed My Fish

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea...

75g Build

Kellsindells build

2.5 Pico Build



Member of DFWMAS ... PBITAWA
Michael Hernandez
Kellsindell is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will a clown loach eat fish eggs? laeclaserind Cyprinids and Atherinids 7 04-03-2009 09:57 PM
Clown fish eggs jed42 Saltwater Fish 8 10-21-2008 01:50 AM
Clown fish eggs jed42 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 4 10-02-2008 11:02 AM
Mating pair of clown eggs Rogergolf66 Saltwater Fish 16 02-14-2007 11:01 PM
snail eggs vs fish eggs Sadie Fish Breeding 10 01-29-2007 08:49 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome