45 Gallon Reef Wishlist - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Saltwater Fish » 45 Gallon Reef Wishlist

45 Gallon Reef Wishlist

This is a discussion on 45 Gallon Reef Wishlist within the Saltwater Fish forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> I do not have a reef ready aquarium so I will be using an overflow. Would this cut down on noise? and could I ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Black And White Percula Clownfish
Black And White Percula Clownfish
Sohal Tang
Sohal Tang
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
45 Gallon Reef Wishlist
Old 02-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #31
 
qwerty0973's Avatar
 
I do not have a reef ready aquarium so I will be using an overflow. Would this cut down on noise? and could I use that durso standpipe still?
Continuous Siphon Overflow
qwerty0973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #32
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
that overflow would work, your going to want to remove the foam and it should be a bulk head there that you can slip a DIY durso into. ( they are so simple to make with a few pieces of PVC ) your also going to want to get an overflow box rated as close to your return pump but keep in mind that a return pump will have head loss ( pressure lost when pumping up a certain ammount of feet, which will slow the flow ) i personally like my return pump alittle strong and i "t" it off with a ball valve to return to the sump so i can make adjustments by opening and closing the valve if that makes sense. '

your also going to want the aqualifter ( the pump thats on top there ) to prevent having unwated siphon breaks which would be disasterous.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #33
 
qwerty0973's Avatar
 
would this be a good light to get?
Metal Halide Reef Aquarium Lighting: IceCap 250 and 400 HQI Pendant & Metal Halide Ballast
qwerty0973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #34
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
that overflow would work, your going to want to remove the foam and it should be a bulk head there that you can slip a DIY durso into. ( they are so simple to make with a few pieces of PVC ) your also going to want to get an overflow box rated as close to your return pump but keep in mind that a return pump will have head loss ( pressure lost when pumping up a certain ammount of feet, which will slow the flow ) i personally like my return pump alittle strong and i "t" it off with a ball valve to return to the sump so i can make adjustments by opening and closing the valve if that makes sense. '

your also going to want the aqualifter ( the pump thats on top there ) to prevent having unwated siphon breaks which would be disasterous.
Can you use a durso with an overflow box? I ask because of the small hole drilled in the top of the durso pipe, designed to keep a small pocket of air at the top of the pipe.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #35
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
i made my durso for my overflow box. all it consists of is a few pieces of PVC. A 90,T and an endcap on the top, you then drill a small hole in the endcap. very simple to make.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #36
 
Tyyrlym's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasfur View Post
Can you use a durso with an overflow box? I ask because of the small hole drilled in the top of the durso pipe, designed to keep a small pocket of air at the top of the pipe.
Sure. The actual U tube pulling water out of the aquarium doesn't have to go straight to the sump. A second pipe, a durso, can take the water from the overflow box down to the sump.
Tyyrlym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #37
 
Be careful with a Flame Angel in a reef. I put one in my 40 this week with a few frags of coral from my 90 and the flame has nipped at xenia, some zoa, and an orange monti. It's not doing damage but definitely nipping at those. The kenya tree frag I put in there it hasn't nipped at that I've noticed.
Quaddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #38
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaddity View Post
The kenya tree frag I put in there it hasn't nipped at that I've noticed.
no one ever likes the kenya tree
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #39
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
I would say with Centropyge angelfish, that you are always taking a chance in a reef. My Coral Beauty has been a gem, but it even takes a brief bite at my mushrooms every month or so. In my experience, and in talking to other hobbyists about this genus of fish, I think the key is to keep the fish well fed, with frequent but small feedings. Otherwise they go out looking for a nibble.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
no one ever likes the kenya tree
And they just keep growing and growing...
Quaddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40 gallon reef fishesfriend Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 236 09-05-2010 08:31 AM
30 gallon reef GTOX44 Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 2 03-24-2009 10:37 AM
Wishlist Bartman Saltwater Fish 5 03-23-2009 11:44 PM
Stock Wishlist for a 180 FOWLR tank uksub Saltwater Fish 13 01-23-2009 09:28 PM
Fish Wishlist!! MPRINCE Saltwater Fish 2 08-20-2007 05:41 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.