180 tank stocking - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Saltwater Fish » 180 tank stocking

180 tank stocking

This is a discussion on 180 tank stocking within the Saltwater Fish forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> Pretty sure you should be ok, sounds like you have a good plan....

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Dragon Wrasse
Dragon Wrasse
Percula Clownfish
Percula Clownfish
Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
 
Pretty sure you should be ok, sounds like you have a good plan.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
 
Bacon Is Good's Avatar
 
Only have a pair of clowns same species and 1 tang other wise your fine.
Bacon Is Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon Is Good View Post
Only have a pair of clowns same species and 1 tang other wise your fine.
Why only one Tang in a 8' tank? I've got a bunch in my 8' tank. ?
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus52 View Post
but its a powder blue tang. i though that since they have different body shapes and color they would be fine
They should be just fine. Check my 180 link below for my build. All in the same 180 gallon tank, a Yellow Tang, Scopas Tang, Sailfin Tang, Naso, Tomini, and Clown Tang.

The Powder Blue is an Acanthurus genus which will probably be dominant over the Yellow Tang, which is a Zebrasoma. Mixing different genus is typically not an issue in tanks 6' in length of larger.

The real question is should you keep a Powder Blue Tang and the answer is a tremendous no. This fish is extremely difficult to keep and the very large majority die in captivity. You would be much better off with a Blue Hippo Tang, Paracanthurus hepatus. These are very sturdy and rarely aggressive.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
 
sidluckman's Avatar
 
I am not sure about the powder blue and yellow (in)compatibility. I have seen it work in tanks as small as a 125, but tangs are idiosyncratic creatures and they don't peruse success stories posted buy daredevil fish-keepers on YouTube. I would err on the side of caution and select a different tang (kole or tomini, maybe) or just decide which one you like best and go with only one. There are no gurantees with any tang pairing, save possibly the Convict Tang which, I believe, is no one's top pick for "Tang I'd most like to Own." The powder blue is a gorgeous fish, but I wouldn't risk putting it with another tang when I owned one. Contrary to the comment above, I had no problem with this fish. It ate like a champ, never had a sick day, and what made me crazy is the thing that killed it: a stealth heater that shorted out, burned up, and cracked a hole in my sump. Until that happened, that fish was destined for greatness!

Don't know about six (count 'em, SIX) clowns. I would try to create a single pair and call it a day. If you later add an anemone of a species that may be adopted by any of the clowns, might that not set off a civil war among the rest and create a territorial and intolerant pair, quite able to demolish more passive fish (cardinals, firefish) that come too near their beloved Cnidarian? Centropyge angels are not wholly reef safe, and butterflys, save for a few species (copperband, pyramid, longnose.& heniochus diphreutes possibly) specialize in making life hell for reef keepers. . .

You have bitten off a chunk, but the good part is you are doing your homework now, rather than jumping in and later asking other forum participants to help you fix a mess. So I applaud you.

Last edited by sidluckman; 07-17-2012 at 11:38 PM..
sidluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidluckman View Post
I am not sure about the powder blue and yellow (in)compatibility. I have seen it work in tanks as small as a 125, but tangs are idiosyncratic creatures and they don't peruse success stories posted buy daredevil fish-keepers on YouTube. I would err on the side of caution and select a different tang (kole or tomini, maybe) or just decide which one you like best and go with only one. There are no gurantees with any tang pairing, save possibly the Convict Tang which, I believe, is no one's top pick for "Tang I'd most like to Own." The powder blue is a gorgeous fish, but I wouldn't risk putting it with another tang when I owned one. Contrary to the comment above, I had no problem with this fish. It ate like a champ, never had a sick day, and what made me crazy is the thing that killed it: a stealth heater that shorted out, burned up, and cracked a hole in my sump. Until that happened, that fish was destined for greatness!

Don't know about six (count 'em, SIX) clowns. I would try to create a single pair and call it a day. If you later add an anemone of a species that may be adopted by any of the clowns, might that not set off a civil war among the rest and create a territorial and intolerant pair, quite able to demolish more passive fish (cardinals, firefish) that come too near their beloved Cnidarian? Centropyge angels are not wholly reef safe, and butterflys, save for a few species (copperband, pyramid, longnose.& heniochus diphreutes possibly) specialize in making life hell for reef keepers. . .

You have bitten off a chunk, but the good part is you are doing your homework now, rather than jumping in and later asking other forum participants to help you fix a mess. So I applaud you.
You need to seriously click on my link, if you don't think that more than one Tang can survive together, my tank might just change your mind...... i've had a few of those Tangs for over 7 years together.
Also, clownfish will school together, when you have a bunch of em. When and if a Anemone comes along, it should be pretty big if you have more than one Clown.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #17
 
sidluckman's Avatar
 
I never said more than one tang couldn't survive together. I have two tangs together in my own 210. I said I would be unwilling to put another tang in with a Powder Blue Tang. Despite the several tangs in your aquarium, you don't have this combination either. Don't put words in my mouth.
sidluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #18
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidluckman View Post
I never said more than one tang couldn't survive together. I have two tangs together in my own 210. I said I would be unwilling to put another tang in with a Powder Blue Tang. Despite the several tangs in your aquarium, you don't have this combination either. Don't put words in my mouth.
This does appear to be the case. I think posts were just getting confused, as another earlier stated you can't mix Tangs.

I also want to agree that there are always exceptions to the rule. There are good fish of every species to be found, and it is usually the experienced patient fish keeper that finds them, by luck obviously. Regardless,to plan a stocking list around a very difficult fish doesn't usually lend to a good experience in the marine hobby.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
 
Bacon Is Good's Avatar
 
Thanks for clarifing
Bacon Is Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #20
 
sidluckman's Avatar
 
I feel that what is working in your aquarium today, might not tomorrow. We have to be vigilant and adapt to changes in behavior. For instance, my 210 contains two pomacanthus angels. Will they always get along as they do now? I can't guarantee it: I have to be prepared for the possibility that one might decide he needs the whole tank to himself.

Aquariums aren't natural systems. Despite the fact that we try to make them look like small pieces of natural reef, they are just too small to expect natural, predictable behavior. My current belief is that, given how small our aquariums are in comparison to natural habitats, marine fish cooperate with captive conditions much better than they should.
sidluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stocking a 49 gal tank? Pizachi Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 19 01-14-2012 07:05 AM
still need help stocking my tank Jayy Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 11-23-2011 07:53 PM
stocking tank bary trotter Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 09-03-2009 04:09 PM
possible stocking for new tank daisycutter Cichlids 2 04-17-2007 09:25 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.