Treating Tank from Ich
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Saltwater Fish Diseases » Treating Tank from Ich

Treating Tank from Ich

This is a discussion on Treating Tank from Ich within the Saltwater Fish Diseases forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> I have a 25 gallon tank which inhabited a blue tang infected with ich. She is now dead with no fish left. I have ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Yellow Tail Damsel
Yellow Tail Damsel
Naso Tang
Naso Tang
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Treating Tank from Ich
Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
 
FrightyDog's Avatar
 
Treating Tank from Ich

I have a 25 gallon tank which inhabited a blue tang infected with ich. She is now dead with no fish left. I have a snail and hermit crab in there. I want to treat the tank without killing them so how would i do that? Is there any quick solutions without taking out the inverts?
FrightyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
ao
 
ao's Avatar
 
Parasites will usually die off on their own without a host... I'm reading 8 weeks for marine ich :/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Also hyposalinity. Bring the sg slowly (like a week) down to 1.013 for about four weeks, then slowly back up to 1.025.
Posted via Mobile Device
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
 
Hyposalinity is done at 1.009. 1.013 will not kill of the parasite. Also, he has inverts and this will kill them as well as the live rock in the tank.

I think you're only option at this point is to let your tank sit fallow but there's a lot of differant opinions on for how long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
Also hyposalinity. Bring the sg slowly (like a week) down to 1.013 for about four weeks, then slowly back up to 1.025.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reefing Madness likes this.
RSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSully View Post
Hyposalinity is done at 1.009. 1.013 will not kill of the parasite. Also, he has inverts and this will kill them as well as the live rock in the tank.
Thanks for clarifying this for me. My post was hasty and not well explained and I apologize for that.

How established is this rock in the tank? From the picture I saw in another thread, it looks to be pretty new, and not that established. There is a rock with some recently purchased coral that looks a lot more live than the rock behind it.

If the rock is not really established and there aren't a huge population of pods and other crustaceans, then taking out the hermit and the snail (and that recently acquired live rock and coral) would allow him to do a hyposalinity treatment without killing off the beneficial bacteria that might already be present in the rock.

I have always Quarantined my fish after purchase in 1.013 and slowly raised it to my tank water (1.025) in order to transfer them to the DT. I have never had an ich outbreak in my tanks and I partly attribute it to this method, but I also think that the overall health of the specimen has a lot to do with this. I prefer that fish that I buy have been at the store for a while, and my old LFS would actually hold fish for me if I was interested (he knew that if I asked, I was serious and would purchase the fish). This way I knew he was healthy and eating before I bought him.
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
 
FrightyDog's Avatar
 
I Let It Sit For Three Weeks Then I Hastily Added Black Clownfish And Coral I WanteD identified In Another Thread. One Of The Fish Has White spots On His Tail. They Are Eating Fine And No Symptoms Yet. But I DoNotWant Them dyinG. I Also Have 4 Snails And A Fire Shrimp...Treatment Plans?
FrightyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Start feeding Garlic in their food. What are you feeding them? I suggest Mysis with a Garlic Extreme additive. Your tank may smell like a pizza, but it boosts their immune systems...
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
 
There really aren't any treatments you can do in your display tank that won't kill your other species. LFS may try and sell you sometype of reef safe medicine but I've not read anything where there are a lot of success stories with these. 2 known things work for ich, hyopslainity and copper based meds, both of which will kill your inverts and your live rock. If you can, you should set-up a QT for the clowns and try hyposalinity. They'll have to stay in there for quite sometime though so your main tank can go through the ich cycle and die off before adding them back. Ich can lay in the substrate in the dormant stage for quite sometime. I've read varying reports of up to 6-8 weeks and on rare occassions, even longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrightyDog View Post
I Let It Sit For Three Weeks Then I Hastily Added Black Clownfish And Coral I WanteD identified In Another Thread. One Of The Fish Has White spots On His Tail. They Are Eating Fine And No Symptoms Yet. But I DoNotWant Them dyinG. I Also Have 4 Snails And A Fire Shrimp...Treatment Plans?
Reefing Madness likes this.
RSully is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RSully For This Useful Post:
Reefing Madness (05-01-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
 
FrightyDog's Avatar
 
I Feed Mysis Shrimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSully View Post
There really aren't any treatments you can do in your display tank that won't kill your other species. LFS may try and sell you sometype of reef safe medicine but I've not read anything where there are a lot of success stories with these. 2 known things work for ich, hyopslainity and copper based meds, both of which will kill your inverts and your live rock. If you can, you should set-up a QT for the clowns and try hyposalinity. They'll have to stay in there for quite sometime though so your main tank can go through the ich cycle and die off before adding them back. Ich can lay in the substrate in the dormant stage for quite sometime. I've read varying reports of up to 6-8 weeks and on rare occassions, even longer.

SoYouBelieve The Ich Is ForSure? No Itching Just WHite Spots
FrightyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Could you get some pics up?
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Treating Ich in a planted tank with catfish.. Jenn1226 Tropical Fish Diseases 3 10-06-2011 10:18 AM
How long should I keep treating my tank for ich after fish death? iamgray Tropical Fish Diseases 6 07-19-2010 02:19 PM
Question about treating Ich with tank contents PaperclipGirl Tropical Fish Diseases 1 02-28-2010 03:47 AM


Tags
hermit crab, ich, snail, treating

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.