This isn't the exact fish, but it looks just like this (but just a little on the tip of the big fin, not on all fins and its just beginning - happened about 2 days ago) :
The fin is turning white and looks like fin rot to me. I was told that Maracyn-two is a great medication to help clear this up, along with water changes. So today I purchased some at my LFS
There are two Figure 8 puffers in my 10 gallon tank (and that's it) they get fed all live foods or recently killed food. The water is really good (0 ammonia 0 nitrite usually 20 or less nitrate, 8.0 PH) the only issue is I haven't begun raising the salinity. They've had no issues with appetite until last night, the puffer with fin rot began to reject food. I know i've got to treat it ASAP before it becomes an issue.
Any suggestions? Anyone ever have this issue before or use this medication? Thanks. I'm definitely new to puffers, but I definitely know they prefer low-end brackish water so I will begin to slowly raise the salinity on a weekly basis starting with my next PWC.
Also, inb4 15 gallons first +10 every additional puffer, I'm already aware of their spatial needs in the aquarium.
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 10
2. How long the aquarium has been set up? 4 months
3. How long and how did you cycle the tank? about a month if not less
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) 2 figure 8 puffers, about 1.5 inch each
5. What temperature is the tank water currently? 74 degrees
6. What make/model filter are you using? 10 HOB Fluval
7. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? no
8. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? 25% yesterday
9. How often do you perform water changes? once or twice weekly
10. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? dried bloodworms, steamer clams, shrimp
11. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? 10 hours a day low intensity lighting
12. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? Fin Rot
13. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, GH, KH and salinity level. 8.0 PH 0/0/20 no salinity, i don't know the GH/KH i don't monitor those
14. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? API Master
15. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? These guys have been in my tank about a week now