On Saturday I purchased a CB Angel
). This was on Saturday. Today I noticed that he has 5 or 6 tiny white spots on both it's body and fins that I would certainly classify as Ich. I've seen it several times in FW fish so I'm somewhat familiar with it (I know that Marine ich is different btw, but I still think it looks similar), he is also scratching against rocks. Anyways, The first thing I did was a 20% water change... I was going to do it Saturday, but I decided to wait a few days so as to not stress the fish. I noticed the spots right during the water change.
PH 8.3, Nitrate 0, Alk high, ammonia 0, SG 1.021. That's all I really have tests for at the moment, but for fish that covers most of the bases, right?
Now I've done research on the disease, and I know that copper, and hypo-salinity quarantine are good options. I also had some metronidazole that I dosed immediately because I don't want my clownfish to succumb.
Here's my question... I've heard mixed results about metronidazole being effective in treating crypto when it's attached to it's host. That being said what are my chances of curing this if tomorrow evening I set up a quarantine tank and use a copper treatment? I would really like this fish to live, and I know ich acts fast though I won't kill my live rock/GSP's.
Next, what is the best procedure for setting up an emergency quarantine? I saved 5 gallons of the water change I did yesterday just in case... I'm basically starting off from scratch here... I have a 10 gallon that I will use.
Any help from you experienced enough would help immensely! I've thought about going to my LFS and getting some of that "ich-away" type stuff, but i'm not sure if that will really work... and I know some of them claim to be reef safe, but are they really?