T5 Bulb Combo's Question
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » Saltwater Aquarium Equipment » T5 Bulb Combo's Question

T5 Bulb Combo's Question

This is a discussion on T5 Bulb Combo's Question within the Saltwater Aquarium Equipment forums, part of the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums category; --> I've recently been lookin at different bulb combos. I like the blue look where the corals really POP! But is whats good for looks ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Black Tang
Black Tang
Porcupine Puffer
Porcupine Puffer
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
T5 Bulb Combo's Question
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
 
killavixen's Avatar
 
T5 Bulb Combo's Question

I've recently been lookin at different bulb combos. I like the blue look where the corals really POP! But is whats good for looks also good for growth? Currently im using Giesemann Aquablue + x2 and Actinic + x2
Color is ok the only thing that really pops though is my rainbow bta and some nuclear greens.
Here's a pic of my tank.

These are pictures of the look i'd rather have.


As far as corals go, i have zoas/palys , lsp, Rainbow bta , plan to add an sps or two. Softies too. So can i get this color without loosing growth? Please post pics of you tanks and what bulbs you use as well as how growth has been.
killavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
 
killavixen's Avatar
 
No one can help :-/
killavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
 
wake49's Avatar
 
I use a Green Element LED 30w (that's 10 x 3 watt bulbs) light that has 7 x 10,000k and 3 x 460 actinics. I feel it is not blue enough and am thinking of buying a T5 fixture. If I do, I will trade out the 10,000k that it comes with for at least 14,000k bulbs, and keep the 460 actinics. Since the bulbs you listed don't have a k rating associated with them, I would say try some 20,000k bulbs and see if they 'blue out' the tank like you are hoping.

I don't have any recent pics of my tank, I just switched phones and haven't swapped photos yet...
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
 
killavixen's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
I use a Green Element LED 30w (that's 10 x 3 watt bulbs) light that has 7 x 10,000k and 3 x 460 actinics. I feel it is not blue enough and am thinking of buying a T5 fixture. If I do, I will trade out the 10,000k that it comes with for at least 14,000k bulbs, and keep the 460 actinics. Since the bulbs you listed don't have a k rating associated with them, I would say try some 20,000k bulbs and see if they 'blue out' the tank like you are hoping.

I don't have any recent pics of my tank, I just switched phones and haven't swapped photos yet...
I dont remember the k rating i'll see if they arent too hot to check
They are actinic+ 450 nm and aquablue+ 15,000K. the aquablues are white though

Last edited by killavixen; 08-06-2013 at 11:31 AM..
killavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killavixen View Post
I dont remember the k rating i'll see if they arent too hot to check
They are actinic+ 450 nm and aquablue+ 15,000K. the aquablues are white though
It's a blue-white, though?

Try 20,000k. They are definitely more blue than 15,000k.
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
 
killavixen's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
It's a blue-white, though?

Try 20,000k. They are definitely more blue than 15,000k.
Will i still get good growth'
killavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killavixen View Post
Will i still get good growth'
Absolutely. 20,000k are just as bright as 10,000k, just a different color temperature. It is also said that some corals thrive off the 20,000k while others thrive at 10,000k. So it is going to depend on what you are growing...

How many bulbs is this fixture? Can you mix the bulbs and throw a 20,000k in front to blue out the tank a little better?
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
 
killavixen's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
Absolutely. 20,000k are just as bright as 10,000k, just a different color temperature. It is also said that some corals thrive off the 20,000k while others thrive at 10,000k. So it is going to depend on what you are growing...

How many bulbs is this fixture? Can you mix the bulbs and throw a 20,000k in front to blue out the tank a little better?
its a 4 bulb fixture
killavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killavixen View Post
its a 4 bulb fixture
Maybe start with a 20,000k in front and see if that gives you the look you want. Keep corals back and under the 15,000k and maybe you can get the best of both worlds...
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wake49 For This Useful Post:
killavixen (08-06-2013)
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Light bulb question. marshallsea Beginner Planted Aquarium 3 12-01-2012 10:09 PM
Bulb Question? closeyetfar Beginner Planted Aquarium 3 11-02-2010 04:25 PM
bulb question bearwithfish Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 5 07-28-2010 02:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.